Ultimate Subaru Message Board

The BRAKE light is lit on the dash of my manual 2000 outback.

Things I have confirmed are NOT the problem.

Parking brake switch makes contact when handle goes up/down.

Master cylinder reservoir is full of fluid

Alternator is charging correctly (bat light isn't on anyway)

Nothing seems wrong with the car, just curious about the light.

Could be worn brake pads on the disc brakes.

I've never seen a subaru with sensors in the brake pads... just euro cars. Maybe newer subarus do? dunno

do the daytime running lights go OFF when you pull on the hand brake?

are they on when driving?

You hit it on the head, DRLs don't come on. So it has to be the wiring to the parking brake handle somewhere.

Checked the FSM. The Parking brake switch and the Low fluid level switch are wired in parallel. Either one will ground the circuit and will turn off the DRLs.

If the brake fluid level was not low, the level switch probably isnt the problem. Sometimes they get stuck if the level gets low. Usually a tap on the side of the reservoir with a screwdriver handle will joggle it loose.

The parking brake switches are usually open to dirt/dust and the contacts can get dirty and/or sticky from a spilled drink.

Edited by Fairtax4me
  • Like 1

Found the problem.... The float for the low fluid switch ... SANK. I used a piece of stainless bailing wire to fish it up, the DRLs come on and the BRAKE light goes out. Let go and it slowly sinks back down to the bottom. WEIRD.

I unplugged the harness so it isn't grounded. Not ideal because now I don't have a low fluid warning. But leaving it plugged in leaves the light on and annoys the spoob out of me. So yea, never seen that before.

Sounds like a foam carb float... soaks up gas and sinks and the engine floods.

I wonder if the material in your float absorbs moisture?

Maybe the float is finely density-tuned to sink when the brake fluid specific gravity is wrong?