Ultimate Subaru Message Board

overheating quickly

The car has done this since I brought it home.  I have removed the t stat.  no viual leaks detected from pump, rad, or hoses. Swapped exhaust ( cat was definately plugged) as it wouldnt rev with the old one and does so freely now.  all parts of the hoses and rad feel to be the same temp so I must guess the pump is working  and checked when I topped off the coolant and burped the system.  So I am now down to either I missed something or I am dead wrong with the pump or radiator.  What else should I be looking for a HG?  I am not blowing steam so would have to be completely internal with no oil water mix.

Mike

I had a similar problem witt my GL just before my rebuild. Turned out to be a head gasket leak, compression blowby into the coolant.

Cool your car. Open radiator cap. Add enough coolant that you can see the surface of your coolant about halfway down the radiator cap "pipe" you add coolant to. Start engine. Watch the surface of the coolant.

Steady stream of small bubbles = head gasket compression leak into coolant channels. This builds up pressure in the coolant system, blowing the coolant into the overflow reservoir. No coolant = no cooling... engine temp rises rapidly.

Edited by BirdMobile

Still could be HG.. coolant level has not diminished yet but I cant leave it running that long.  I have not flushed the rad yet it is on the to do list just to make sure.. I need to see if I have a spare water pump also and the rad I can swap from another car..  Just need to make a little more time.

Make sure to burp the iar pocket. IF you seem to constantly have a pocket, or t=you have bubbles rising up as she runs, supect HG faulire. You might get lucky with a heads re torque (modify shortened 17mm socket) and or a kan of k-seal. Otherwise, replacing the gasket is easy enough, slap em on and go (prob. failed from age and corrosion, old coolant)