Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

overheating quickly

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Mykeys Toy

Mykeys Toy

Subaru Master

• Members
  • 2,005 posts
  • South Prairie, Wa

Posted 20 July 2014 - 05:37 PM

The car has done this since I brought it home.  I have removed the t stat.  no viual leaks detected from pump, rad, or hoses. Swapped exhaust ( cat was definately plugged) as it wouldnt rev with the old one and does so freely now.  all parts of the hoses and rad feel to be the same temp so I must guess the pump is working  and checked when I topped off the coolant and burped the system.  So I am now down to either I missed something or I am dead wrong with the pump or radiator.  What else should I be looking for a HG?  I am not blowing steam so would have to be completely internal with no oil water mix.

Mike

#2 jonas

jonas

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 990 posts
  • Oakridge

Posted 20 July 2014 - 05:54 PM

Didn't see any mention in your post, is the fan kicking on?

#3 Mykeys Toy

Mykeys Toy

Subaru Master

• Members
  • 2,005 posts
  • South Prairie, Wa

Posted 20 July 2014 - 06:03 PM

Yes.. we talking less than ten minutes from cold to shut down.

#4 wagonist

wagonist

User Awaiting Email Confirmation

• Members
  • 439 posts
  • Sydney, Australia

Posted 20 July 2014 - 06:12 PM

You've flushed your radiator?

#5 BirdMobile

BirdMobile

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 154 posts
  • Salt Lake City, Utah

Posted 20 July 2014 - 06:27 PM

I had a similar problem witt my GL just before my rebuild. Turned out to be a head gasket leak, compression blowby into the coolant.
Cool your car. Open radiator cap. Add enough coolant that you can see the surface of your coolant about halfway down the radiator cap "pipe" you add coolant to. Start engine. Watch the surface of the coolant.
Steady stream of small bubbles = head gasket compression leak into coolant channels. This builds up pressure in the coolant system, blowing the coolant into the overflow reservoir. No coolant = no cooling... engine temp rises rapidly.

Edited by BirdMobile, 20 July 2014 - 06:33 PM.

#6 Mykeys Toy

Mykeys Toy

Subaru Master

• Members
  • 2,005 posts
  • South Prairie, Wa

Posted 20 July 2014 - 06:38 PM

Still could be HG.. coolant level has not diminished yet but I cant leave it running that long.  I have not flushed the rad yet it is on the to do list just to make sure.. I need to see if I have a spare water pump also and the rad I can swap from another car..  Just need to make a little more time.

#7 crawdad

crawdad

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • Mt.Vernon Tx

Posted 20 July 2014 - 08:02 PM

My 1985 did that it was the radiator it was clogged half way up,and there was sludge in the oil pan clogging the screen. it would heat up to red line in less than 10 minutes.

#8 scoobiedubie

scoobiedubie

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 465 posts
  • Aloha, Oregon

Posted 20 July 2014 - 11:26 PM

Look for a large mouse nest between the a/c radiator and the engine radiator.

#9 angerthis

angerthis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts
  • Blaine/Bellinghame WA

Posted 24 July 2014 - 12:57 PM

Look for a large mouse nest between the a/c radiator and the engine radiator.

i found one of those could not believe it was there the car never over heated after that

but most likely HG 

#10 Subruise

Subruise

Official Party Pooper

• Members
  • 1,456 posts
  • pierce county

Posted 24 July 2014 - 03:17 PM

ive got a spare rad if ya wanna swap em for shiggles

#11 Mykeys Toy

Mykeys Toy

Subaru Master

• Members
  • 2,005 posts
  • South Prairie, Wa

Posted 25 July 2014 - 06:41 AM

Thanks Rob.. I borrowed from my hatch for a minute.  Waiting on a new coolant temp sensor before I throw in the towel on a waste of money.

#12 MilesFox

MilesFox

Catch this Fox!

• Members
  • 10,500 posts
  • Madison/Milwaukee, WI

Posted 25 July 2014 - 09:10 AM

Make sure to burp the iar pocket. IF you seem to constantly have a pocket, or t=you have bubbles rising up as she runs, supect HG faulire. You might get lucky with a heads re torque (modify shortened 17mm socket) and or a kan of k-seal. Otherwise, replacing the gasket is easy enough, slap em on and go (prob. failed from age and corrosion, old coolant)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users