Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA-82 Weber Conversion - How I Did Mine

Thought I'd drop in and describe how I did my Weber carburator conversion, and how I avoided many of the power steering pump clearance issues other users have had doing these conversions.

Disclaimer: I'm not responsible for what you do. Make your own decisions and live by them... don't blame me or anyone else. Assume I'm completely full of crap, and act accordingly.

OK... here's what I did.

First off, I saved the throttle cable linkage (curved piece with the wire channel) and the thick rubber gasket for the manifold from my $hi7achi carburator. I then mounted the Weber adapter plates, on TOP of the thick rubber gasket, using Permatex #2 (stays gooey) sealant between layers. Then, I mounted the Weber BACKWARDS with the electric choke toward the rear of the vehicle. This is the key.

The throttle cable linkage piece is then mounted UPSIDE DOWN between the carburator throttle shaft and the intake manifold. However... it won't fit,,, just a bit too wide in radius. This is solved with about 45 minutes of careful work with a dremel tool and files... you basically take about 3/16" off the "radius" off the "wire holding channel" on the edge of the linkage piece, until it clears the intake manifold by about 1/32". Make sure it clears the manifold for its entire length of travel.

I then fabbed up a throttle cable end-holder from the sheet metal parts supplied in the Weber kit, to mount next to the clutch cable assembly off the drivers side end of the cross bolt. Bent the throttle cable into an "S" shape, and zip tied it down. Connected cable end to carburator cable linkage.

I blocked my fuel return lines, and drilled a hole through my gas cap to provide pressure ventimg. I also reversed the plug and fitting on the Weber so the gas comes in from the rear instead of the front side.

My electric choke just BARELY clears the spare tire, with the tire just touching the spade lugged wire from keyed +12V.

That's it... no more interference with the power steering pump, and it all works perfectly!

Hope this is of some use to someone... I'll post photos if I can figure out how.

Ha! Backwards! Hey man, I give you credit, to each their own. If it works in the end, that's all that matters! The only thing I'd comment on is the permatex, as it doesn't play well with petroleum, I'd use what another user on here, Jes-Zek, suggests; shellac.

Nice way to think outside the box!

• Like 1

Ha! Backwards! Hey man, I give you credit, to each their own. If it works in the end, that's all that matters! The only thing I'd comment on is the permatex, as it doesn't play well with petroleum, I'd use what another user on here, Jes-Zek, suggests; shellac.

Nice way to think outside the box!

Thanks, man!

Note that the Permatex in question is NOT the usual silicone RTV type, but the gas impervious sealant (Type 2, Non-hardening) that has been used extensively for years on gasoline exposed gasket surfaces. It's designed for that application.

Edited by BirdMobile