Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

03 Forester XS- Should I buy?

150000 mies new owner subaru forester 03 2003 XS reliability

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 dukeforest16

dukeforest16

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Durham, NC

Posted 23 July 2014 - 12:11 AM

So I am inbetween cars right now and I found this awesome community. Ive been considering a 2003 Subaru Forester XS, and I really just want everyone's opinion. My main concerns are: I do not want to buy someone else's problem; I just got rid of a car that had plenty of issues, which is why I sold it. I hear nothing but amazing things from people about Subarus. The one I am looking at has 150,000 miles, but has been a one owner vehicle, no crashes, clean title, regular maintenance, etc...what do you all think? Sound like a sure thing, or should I have reservations? I am excited nonetheless. Thanks!

#2 MR_Loyale

MR_Loyale

20 Years of Ownership. 94-14

• Members
  • 909 posts
  • Seattle

Posted 23 July 2014 - 02:45 AM

Before you buy any used vehicle, get it inspected by a mechanic. 

#3 grossgary

grossgary

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 19,889 posts
  • WV

Posted 23 July 2014 - 06:19 AM

check for headgaskets leaking.  they leak externally from underneath and are easily spotted if they've started to leak.

check for torque bind.

if those are pristine and all the basic stuff checks you, you should be good to go.

i'd set aside cash to replace the timing belt with a complete timing belt kit - they're $115 on amazon for Gates kits.

even if the current owner had the timing belt replaced, that hardly matters since the tensioner and pulleys are all needing replaced by now too. if one of those fail you'll likely incur valve damage. 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: 150000 mies, new owner, subaru, forester, 03, 2003, XS, reliability

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users