Ultimate Subaru Message Board

My 1998 Legacy Outback Limited

MilesFox

So i got this car with a skipped timing belt. I got it to run with spare parts. Car runs great, as i had replaced the knock sensor. The brakes need service, as i suspect stuck caliper slides.

EJ25D, 4EAT, 132,500 mi. All leather interior, 'Limited' trim with premium sound, am/fm/WB/cd/cassette, telescoping antenna (doesn't retract, but extends)

(pics to come) The car has weird body work where the rear quarter had been painted, and the lower gold portion had been painted over the decal and the door moulding, as well as the front bumper insert.

Project considerations:

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/topic/147895-ej25d-dohc-tuning-qs/?hl=ej25d

Woodgrain wrap for the old 'woodie' look. I would like to find 15: steelies and install baby moons or beauty rings with whitewall tires.

LED interior and exterior lighting

Maybe a CB and dual whip antenna, and roof mounted baja lights

Strut spacer lift is a consideration.

SPT intake parts if they will fit an ej25d

Hack the power windows to work with ACC key position

Hack the TCU for 'power mode' and manual override for the duty c solenoid with a 3 position switch (4wd lock, normal, FWD lock) and perhaps a torque converter lockup override as well

Replica header

I would consider cams. Waiting for HG to fail, for which i mat consider frankenmotor

Woodgrain themed interior treatments, such as steering wheel, floor mats, bezels. I may go as far as removing the 'leather' door panel inserts and making real wood stained and lacquered to match walnut burl bezels.

Consideration for replacing the rear cargo floor panels with finished plywood or hardwood flooring. Or make wooden runners like an old pickup truck.

Vinyl wrap or custom make stained wood roof rail runners

Long shot future considerations: WRX front crossmember and ej25d heads on 2.2 block for boosted application (if this will work with the existing ECU. maybe manual trans along with

This car is so sweet, it makes me feel like i need to wear a shirt and tie and park it downtown in front of skyscrapers 'executive estate'. This is by far the nicest car i have had, it makes me feel important, my Bourgios car.

I will take some pics today to share with you. This will be my 'build thread' for this car.

• 2 weeks later...

This car has passed emissions with a new knock sensor. So far she averages 21.84 mpg with mixed driving across 300 mi. Since my last fuel calculation, i have replaced the differential fluids with Mobil1 75w90 gear oil, and the engine oil with Mobil1 0w40. She used half a quart already, so i changed the pcv valve. I am hoping to improve the fuel economy with the synthetic fluids. Also, the ATF was overfilled by a good quart. I corrected the fluid level, added a bottle of trans tune, and topped off with synthetic ATF. The shifting seems to be less delayed. It feels like the torque converter lockup doesn't let go on the 2nd gear upshift, then does let go, causing a delay. This seems to be less since adding trans tune, and less rumble with the duty c on tight turning. I plan on flushing the trans with full syn. Also considering a trans in-line filter retrofit, and an external trans coolar as well.

The car seems to hunt for timing at highway cruise speeds between 3rd and 4th gear and TC lock. I have new spark plugs to replace, so hopefully that helps with throttle response. I have NGK g-power for the ej25d, 100,000 mi plugs

I have replaced the tail lamps with all LED, and all the nterior lights as well.

Applied wood grain to the side of the car. may do more on the bottom of the doors. The wood survived a car wash so far. I also have woodgrain steering cover and floor mats. Wood bead seat cushions. I had invented a hardwood floor with bamboo flooring in rich walnut color. This part is almost finished, and retains the spare tire hatch and the tie down bezels.

The steering wheel is a alip on cover, vinyl with walnut burl look. it closely matches the wood inserts on the car. If you look closely, there are matchng wood burl floormats as well. The woodgrain on the exterior of the car is contac shelf paper. It has been applied for 2 weeks already, and has survived a carwash already.

I'll take a better pic of the wood floor as i still have yet to wax the car. So far i polished it twice by hand, the first time with meguiar's medium cut, then meguiare platinum polish. I polished the glass as well. I have california gold carnauba wax to clean her up with.

I ran the battery dead while taking the pics, as i had the key in the on position for probably 2 hours when the radio was on before i realized it.

For the grille, i would like to swap to regular legacy grille and bumper with projector fogs. Otherwise, i plan to woog grain the bumper insert and perhaps the hood scoop. Still deciding abuut the upper window trim for that authentic wood look. one side is done; the other is not. I may use the lighter oak color wood to do the lower parts of the doors.

Wow, you have created a very nice Woody. I, too, have a 98 OBW Limited, so I relate to all the work you have done. The Limited model has much more factory sound proofing then the standard OBW. I also have a 99 OBW, so I really notice the sound proofing difference. Also, the leather seats are so much more comfortable then the standard cloth seats.

Keep an eye on the engine temp gauge at all times, as the 2.5 in your car is prone to blowing head gaskets, and over heating. Both my Outbacks have done that.

Any thought of adding Woody tape to the lower half of the doors?? I think that would look nice.

I have considered a lighter wood color on the bottom and that is my next project.

Of course i know to look for bubbles in the coolant. This motor seems to be in good shape with no temp gauge fluctuations. The coolant does, however make disappearing and reappearing acts in both the radiator and the overflow jug. 

I changed the spark plugs. I could not get one of them as the rubber boot stayed on the plugs. The original plugs were iridium. I got platinum replacements. These plugs look like they have never been changed. But dat gap, tho! The throttle response is much more crispy. Now to dig out the rubber boot and change the 4th plug.

IMG_2085.JPG

• Like 1

I got what was on inventory at the parts store. I have found the magic tool combination to change the plugs, remove the washer tank, etc. Between the 2, i suppose the electrode lasts longer than the platinum or v power, for the sake of 100,000 mi intervals. My preference is based on price, as v-power plugs have always been my staple. I would have considered v power, as compared to bosch platinum or +4, thay don't seem to perform as well. But the NGK 'g-power was listed as OEM, so i went with that. 

I am glad that i don't find some junk autolite or champion plugs in there, ad that someone before me didn't booger the threads or overtorque the plugs. I was careful to install them snug, but not too tight. 

These original plugs were just worn out at 132,000 mi from new. The car will need a proper set of plug wires. the left side has the original plug wires, but the right side has some cheap replacements of inferior quality. No misfires, tho, but i anticipate problems in wet weather now that i had the boots off. Next stop is some proper NGK wires for another 100000 mi of service.

I finally got the 4th spark plug installed after getting that rubber booy out with a dental pick and wd40. I also changed out the ECTS as i had one NIB with my other car. While i did this, i took the PVC hoses apart and cleaned inside the baffle what i could, and cleaned the hotwire MAF. The car runs so much better now, better throttle response, ;ess throttle input to maintain cruise, and overall better driveability. The timing and shifting doesn't seem to hunt around as much.

I also flushed the trans fluid with full synthetic using professional methods. The engine seems more engaged with the trans, rolls easier, and the 2nd gear upshift isn't as abrupt. The car actually downshifted on ots own while descending a hill as i was slowing to turn. Overall, i am much happy. WOW

I also woodied up the lower parts of the doors and the wheels. Pics promised in next post.