About a month ago, i scored a 1985 XT Turbo for a great price, in near-perfect shape visually, and it drove pretty damn good to boot...
Since im new to Ru's, I took it to a trusted Subaru-only mechanic to give it a good once-over. I had noticed the temp had been reading too high for my comfort level, which was my main concern.
Long story short: he claimed he checked it w/a heat gun and that the sensor was likely bad or a thermostat issue. Told me I was fine, flushed the tranny (which made me twitchy), put on a new set of belts & sent me on my way.
Couple weeks later, the rough starts begin. Flooring it cleared it up, which seriously concerned me. I sensed coolant was getting into the combustion and fouling it up. A week later, I stalled in the road...
Brought it to another mechanic, he found the bad head after I traced a coolant leak & showed him. I don't think the block is bad as he's quoting me on the head & labor (hopefully, still waiting on est.)
------------------ The Big Questions: ---------------------
1. How hard is it to change the head myself?
2. Am I correct in my research that this model (front wheel drive turbo) sports the EA-82T?
3. Is there a good source for parts you're aware of if they try to take me to the cleaners?
4. Is there more that can be wrong after this & I may want to have a pro looking at it anyways?
5. I found this, is this what I'm looking for? http://parts.subaru....11039AA780.html
Thanks to all for reading and for any potential advice you have to offer. I will be a regular here if I can keep this thing running tip-top without draining the bank account...