Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1995 Legacy replacement frnt axel identification

I went to replace my front axles on a 95 Legacy AWD manual transmission and in looking up the parts I saw one for a 'front wheel drive manual transmission'  and another for 'AWD' or 'AWD' with auto trans.  They look the same though one may be 1/8 or so different length.  Does 'front wheel drive' imply no rear wheel drive?

There is also another listed for this vehicle 'AWD' that seems quit different with shafts on both ends of the axel rather than having a shaft come out of the transmission.

How many different types are they and if different PN's look the same to me how will I determine for sure which is right for this vehicle?

Thanks.

There are several different types.

FWD means plain old front wheel drive, as in no rear drive parts (axles, diff, driveshaft).

AWD Front axles for manual or automatic trans will have different inner cv joints. Manual trans has a double offset joint. Auto has a tripod style joint. I'm not sure how much difference it makes, but Subaru decided the difference was necessary.

Aftermarket axles have a notorious failure rate. I've heard several times that EMPI axles are good, but Ive never used them on a Subaru.

The best quality axles are original subaru green, but they're very expensive new. A good option if you don't mind doing some work is to get junkyard axles and put new boots on them.

FWE rebuilds Subaru axles exclusively. They are the best quality rebuilt axle you can get, but cost around $100 per.

I put in an autozone axle 10 years ago, but the boot has finally failed, as well as the boot on the other side.  (and the lower ball joints and steering boots).

I suppose I got a fair amount of use out of the Autozone axle.  And they are replacing it free.

There is an axle for manual trans FWD listed, and another for auto tran FWD or apparently both auto and manual with AWD.  10376 & 7330 are the numbers.

Looking at the axles I see three variations in these two part numbers, but it seems they are all equivalent for fit and function.  The biggest difference I see is the diameter of the CV hub on the axle nearest the transmission.  I measure axles with 29.", 3", 3.1" and 3.3" dia.

I suppose the double or tripod joint styles mentioned above are internal features and do not effect fit and function.  I've apparently had one of one flavor on the right and one of the other flavor on the left for 10 years.

Thanks for the advice.