Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Engine stalls while coasting then has cam sensor code - swapped cam sensor and new timing tensioner

1999 EJ22 with 90,000 miles in great condition as far as I know.

Car drives fine but sometimes stalls while coasting.  Classic idle control symptoms but it always has a cam sensor code after this happens?!?!

Replaced cam sensor and timing belt tensioner and still does it.

Cleaned idle control motor today.

What else?

P0340 - cam sensor

I pulled and cleaned the idle air control valve.  I'm hoping the valve was sticky - causes the familiar "stalling while coasting" symptom - then that stalling causes an odd signal for the cam sensor that triggers the check engine light for the cam sensor. 

Seems speculative and possibly not going to be the case.  I'll report back if the check engine light comes back again after this cleaning.

did the same thing with two different tensioners. new belt.

so far the 0340 seems to be from:

1. an artifact of the stalling due to the idle control valve - it's now clean so time will tell

2. it's possible i installed the wrong cam sprocket (Phase II's having two different varieties) - but it ran fine for months before starting to stall, i think it would have stalled immediately after installing the wrong cam.

any other suggestions?

did the same thing with two different tensioners. new belt.

so far the 0340 seems to be from:

1. an artifact of the stalling due to the idle control valve - it's now clean so time will tell

2. it's possible i installed the wrong cam sprocket (Phase II's having two different varieties) - but it ran fine for months before starting to stall, i think it would have stalled immediately after installing the wrong cam.

any other suggestions?

nothing specific from me, I'm just brainstorming. Um, would it throw the code if you clutched in and braked to slow the car? Or if you did some high revving when parked? That is, does it require engine braking to throw the code? To me, that would be more a mechanical/sensing/maybe wiring issue than 'charging circuit' but........?  Intermittent signal dropout could be a general electrical fault - or bad connector or grounding I guess.

Edited by 1 Lucky Texan

Might make sure the terminals are clean in the big connector on the bellhousing. And make sure its plugged in all the way.

Another thought is a chafed wire under the intake manifold. Could be grounding the signal only when the engine moves in a certain way. Try the wiggle test!

• Like 1