Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Subaru Brat as a daily

Subaru Brat

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Tye

Tye

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • Woodinville Washington

Posted 25 July 2014 - 01:29 PM

Hey Guys

I was just wondering who daily's a Subaru Brat ,

and if y'all have problems with the power, or lack of?

#2 thornleyjacob

thornleyjacob

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts
  • Medford, Oregon

Posted 25 July 2014 - 01:55 PM

I just purchased an '84 Brat 2 weeks ago and it is my daily driver; wife is using the '00 Impreza as her's.

Lack of power? None; the car is lighter-weight than most vehicles these days so the low HP engine is not crippled.

Edited by thornleyjacob, 25 July 2014 - 01:55 PM.

#3 Kevint143

Kevint143

USMB Regular

• Silver Subscribers
  • 362 posts
  • Bakersfield, CA

Posted 25 July 2014 - 02:55 PM

I was daily driving mine for months. My first gen was capable of cruising at 80+ mph great on gas and loved the awesome looks I would get. Took it off the road for an EJ22 swap tho as soon as it is done it will be my daily again

#4 brat82

brat82

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts
  • Siskiyou Mtns...S.Oregon

Posted 25 July 2014 - 03:48 PM

I've had this 82brat for 10 or more yrs. and it has been a daily driver. I got it with original engine, tranny that didn't work. It had sat for 2 yrs. and the carb was all gummed up(old gas varnish). I got the original motor(1.8) running, put in a different trans(took it out of an 84, and it had 81 in wrecking yard crayon on it). I hit black ice and slid on pass. side, slammed into the cutbank, really messed it up...switched out that motor with a used one, only got 10,000 miles and it gave me all kinds of problems. The ORIGINAL MOTOR has 363,000 miles on it and I was still getting 30 or more mpg., even with all my rafting gear and food for 3weeks and off to UTAH for trip down the colo. river/Grand Canyon.

I now have a rebuilt engine, getting close to 1000miles, and a tranny that had 154,000 on it. It has really good power, and gets that good milage on reg.gas. I write all this cause I hear the newer ones don't get the mileage like the old ones. I'm hoping this is the last car I own, although I also have a 72vw bus, a 1945 chev. truck, and a 59 morris minor.

Some parts are getting hard to find as the other styles just don't match the brat.

#5 jonas

jonas

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 1,084 posts
  • Oakridge

Posted 25 July 2014 - 04:31 PM

*raises hand*

#6 jono

jono

New User

• Members
  • 718 posts
  • Southern Hemisphere - AUS

Posted 25 July 2014 - 05:41 PM

nearing 16 years and the lack of power can be altered a bit or a lot, your wallet will have same variable deminishing effect depending on how much power you want. They only have one cam, eight valves and 1.8 litres of 1970's technology ! Pump the tyres can be cheapest, then service and tune it checking timing marks as engine increases revs to ensure distributor working correctly. A new clutch and cable might make a difference. Willy Fisterbottom paid some finer detailed attention to jetting his hitachi, fitted an unequal length header Y pipe exhaust and has a screamer EA81 to be green with envy about.

A full rebuild has always been my trick with a cam grind to suit. Newer learnings is EJ20 pistons or spfi will boost power a bit too :)

Currently run an EA82 OHC with matching 5 speed DR 4WD box, turbo cams and heads - just no turbo :(. It is not always as quick as I'd like but can surprise me sometimes. It is more a flatter torque run on it and able to haul a 300kg trailer up long hill runs at 100kph in 4th

Edited by jono, 25 July 2014 - 05:48 PM.

#7 cubastreet

cubastreet

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 286 posts
  • Wellington

Posted 25 July 2014 - 06:23 PM

I've dailied a gen 1 for most of the last 8 years. Most of the time it's ok but it doesn't have much power for overtaking when I get stuck behind a slow car on nz's winding hilly roads

#8 Dinky26

Dinky26

ALWAYS LOOKING!

• Members
  • 548 posts
  • Wichita KS

Posted 26 July 2014 - 12:13 AM

I've been daily driving mine for over a year and it's been awesome!!!

Swap out the carb for a Weber, that will boost your get up and go.

Shawn on here will get you set up for a Weber.

Edited by Dinky26, 26 July 2014 - 12:14 AM.

#9 Hsoj

Hsoj

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts
  • seattle wa

Posted 26 July 2014 - 09:53 AM

I've been daily driving mine for a few years now. I got it all messed up. Bad axle job, bad carb, ruined steering rack, so I put a 5 spd d/r trans in and an ej, gave her power steering..... Drives great!

#10 JuhaKankkunen

JuhaKankkunen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts
  • Argentina

Posted 26 July 2014 - 12:46 PM

Ok, mine it's not a brat but it's a wagon with the ea81 stock engine with manual 4 speed. I use it daily for almost 50 km and it runs really nice and smooth. 10 liters per 100 km . Stock hitachi carb!

#11 bratman2

bratman2

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 507 posts
  • Aurora

Posted 26 July 2014 - 04:16 PM

Owned my for 17 years and commuted with it to work daily for nearly 8 years. Only thing that has slowed the mileage down was adding back a motorcycle to the mix. Several things that have improved the driving/riding aspects have are seats out of a 2003 Impreza back in 2004, replaced all the rubber bits underneath along with new struts/shocks and a weber. Upping the tire size to 14" rims and 185 tires helps too. Mine gets just over 29 mpg regularly. I have done a 300 mile round day trip to purchase another bike a few years ago. The Brat did exceptionally well with a 540 lb. bike in back and interstate speeds of 70 mph.

#12 Subieguy

Subieguy

Subaru on the brain!

• Members
  • 904 posts
  • Paso Robles, California

Posted 27 July 2014 - 12:28 AM

I drive my 78 Brat almost every day. Love it! And it can go 75 on The highway too. Just takes a bit to get there.

#13 tundrabrat

tundrabrat

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 411 posts
  • Anchorage

Posted 27 July 2014 - 03:05 AM

If the sun is out I'm driving it... Torque grind cam, decked heads, ea82 pistons (higher compression) and a webber. No problem keeping up with traffic
and cruise all day on the highway.

#14 bendecker

bendecker

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 306 posts
  • Lakeside, CA

Posted 27 July 2014 - 07:14 PM

Not in So Cal. I used mine as a daily driver for years, but taking it on the freeway now is a death wish here. I'm jealous of areas where driving a Brat as a DD still makes sense.

#15 Indrid cold

Indrid cold

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 770 posts
  • Kennewick, WA

Posted 27 July 2014 - 10:44 PM

Mine is daily driver to and from Park & ride for van-pool.  

Or I may take it out to work which is about 90 miles round trip.

It's kind of fun to be driving a car that you rarely see another of.  I think how I park at the local Mall where there are hundreds of cars and mine is the only one like it.  Mmmmmm...... special warm feeling.

#16 subsnjeeps

subsnjeeps

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • mesa az

Posted 17 August 2014 - 01:58 AM

Got an 85 for free- it sat for 14 years. My oldest son was turning 16,so a week and about 300 bucks later he was learning to drive stick! Fast farward a few years, now he and his younger brother are driving my air conditioned automatics to school and im in the Brat everyday! No A/C - im in arizona- but other than that i love it! Reliable, great mileage, and thumbs-up from other drivers all the time.

#17 TomRhere

TomRhere

Certified BRAT nut!!!

• Members
  • 4,107 posts
  • Hillsdale, Mi. USA

Posted 17 August 2014 - 06:00 AM

Bought my 1st BRAT in '02, a '86 GL. Since then I've had '82, '84 Auto, another '86 and a '85, all GL's.

All were DDs until I either sold them or parted them out do to rust.

Still have the '82. One of these days I'll get it going again.

Not much highway driving done, mostly back roads, and the drive to/from work is 64 miles. Upper twenty's for mileage stock carb or Weber.

#18 spicypeanut

spicypeanut

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 298 posts
  • LA CA

Posted 18 August 2014 - 07:27 PM

Since I've rebuilt my 78 Brat I've used it quite a bit. Put probably around 1000 miles on it or so. If I had AC I would most likely drive it every day. But without AC, I can't show up to work all sweaty so until that day comes. It's only used for weekends. :(

#19 Twitch de la Brat

Twitch de la Brat

Village Psycho

• Members
  • 1,656 posts
  • The Athol of Idaho

Posted 19 August 2014 - 12:33 AM

I daily drove an 85 BRAT for several years and loved it.

But it was my baby too.

Hard to beat reliability wise though. Probably had over 300k (speedo cable came apart at 270k) on it when I got rear-ended.

Never left me stranded unless it was my own stupidity.

Took far too much abuse in that time as well.

So, yeah. A gen2 makes a kickin' DD. A little slow, a little loud, but hell if they aren't drop dead reliable and beasts in the snow.

Also, that low end grunt. :headbang:

Twitch

#20 ironworkerboomer

ironworkerboomer

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts
  • Salmon, Idaho

Posted 19 August 2014 - 05:03 PM

Not in So Cal. I used mine as a daily driver for years, but taking it on the freeway now is a death wish here. I'm jealous of areas where driving a Brat as a DD still makes sense.

I was scared driving my Baja there.  :)  But when Im home in Idaho my 81 is my ride.

#21 Dania02525

Dania02525

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts
  • Austin

Posted 22 August 2014 - 09:34 AM

Daily driver here- fixing the Ac, already fixed the radio, what else do you need?? Its certainly not the slowest car I ever driven, plus its cool and earns respect.  It may sound crazy for most to think an 82 would make a good daily driver, but if you have the money to put it together right and you watch your guages, its a fine car to drive everyday.  Remember, we aren't talking about an MG or something, this is a japanese made car.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Subaru, Brat

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users