Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2000 Subaru Legacy Outback showing codes P1325, P0483, P0304

P1325 - Not DTC Definition Found

P0483 - Cooling Fan Malfunction

P0304 - Cylinder 4 Misfire

My car shakes & skips while idling, temperature gage goes up after idling too long, and just generally skips and misfires while driving. Its gotten pretty bad so I finally took it to Advanced Auto and they found these codes on the reader. Anyone have any recommendations on how to fix? Thanks !

not to worry, none of these code are terribly serious, so long as you get them remedied soon. The misfire is likely fairly straightforward, you probably just need a tune-up. I.e. New plugs and wires. If the misfire persists, you might have a bad ignition coil. If so, its best not to cheap out on that, I've gotten cheap aftermarket ignition coils that were bad right out of the box.

The P1325 code is for a fault in the Knock Sensor. This is a very common fault in Subarus, and is usually (as in 98 times out of 100) just a bad sensor, and that's very easy to replace with a socket extension and flex joint on your ratchet.

the cooling fan problem could be nothing, or it could be a failing electric fan, or the control relays for high/low speeds. The code will come about when the ECM commands the fan on, and then doesn't see a corresponding drop in engine temp in a certain amount of time. This could be due to a blockage in airflow across the radiator from leaves or something, or the fans not coming on. If the fans seem to work, and the radiator isn't blocked, it could just have thrown that code because it was a super hot day and you were in traffic and the fan was just pulling the hot air from the car in front of you over the radiator. So basically, fix the other stuff, clear the codes, and see if the cooling fan code comes back.

happy fixing!

almost forgot, if you are noticing the engine temp creeping up alot, it won't hurt to toss a new thermostat in there. Make absolutely sure you get a OEM style thermostat. It will be bigger that the aftermarket ones, and is the only way to go.

almost forgot, if you are noticing the engine temp creeping up alot, it won't hurt to toss a new thermostat in there. Make absolutely sure you get a OEM style thermostat. It will be bigger that the aftermarket ones, and is the only way to go.

can you link me to an oem thermostat online? Thank you so much for your help !!

P1325 is Knock Sensor Low Input.

Very common for the knock sensors to fail. eBay has them for around $20.

Spark plugs and wires would be first on the list.

Check coolant level and look for any cloudiness or muddy appearance in the coolant. If it looks nasty then it probably needs to be changed.

You can check fan operation by connecting the green plugs under the dash on the drivers side. Turn the key to On and the fans will start to cycle on and off in approximately 1 second intervals. Check that each fan runs at two speeds, low then high, then off.

If one fan or one speed doesn't work check fuses and tap on the relays in the underhood fuse panel. If you feel each relay clicking off and on, but the fan does not work the fan motor may be dead.

• Like 1