Ultimate Subaru Message Board

WRX Brake upgrade - Can I use my wheels ?

I've read all the threads all over the other sites, done the brake tourque and bias calcualtions, and bought the parts to do the WRX and "H6" brake upgrade to my 93 wagon BUT as I tried to start fitting parts on I noticed that the wheels may not clear the calipers. Can anyone confirm or deny that the stock 6-spoke 15" wheels that came on 91-94 turbos and early OB will fit over the brakes. All the info I can find elsewhere says "some 15"'s will fit ", but doesn't say specifically which ones....

Rears will clear most 15" wheels just fine. The rear WRX calipers do not sit out significantly further than the stock legacy calipers. There may be some wheels which won't clear due to the shape of the wheel on the back side of the spokes. I've test fitted WRX rear calipers on my 96 with 15" 6 spoke Outback wheels and they have plenty of room.

Fronts you need to grind down the outer edge of the calipers to clear most 15" wheels. How much grinding needs to be done depends on wheel offset and the shape of the wheel behind the outer edged of the spokes.

There are some 15" rally wheels made by Team Dynamics which WILL clear WRX calipers.

There may be wheels made by other vehicle manufacturers with a different offset which will fit, but I don't know of any chart or compilation of which wheels will fit, or which won't.

Fairtax , I thought about grinding the calipers. That's good to know someone else thought and tried the same thing. That's the route I will pursue. I chose those SS wheels because I heard they are light and TAF. Already sent them to the powder coater and bought 235/75/15's. I'm using 1" wheel spacers and SS turbo front calipers. ( I guess I need the WRX caliper bracket ...), MC...

Bought the parts for the H6 rear upgrade but might just use the turbo vented rears... Have to play around with the brake calculator a bit...

I'm expecting it to stop quick on the big , soft truck tires...thanks for the replies !

With the 1" wheel spacers the amount of grinding you need to do will be lessened.

If you google WRX brake caliper grinding or WRX caliper 15" wheel or something to that effect you'll find some pictures of calipers people have ground down. Should give you an idea of where to grind and how much. Basically its a trial and error deal. Grind a little, see if the wheel fits, grind a little more, see if it fits. Then once the wheel fits, grind some extra material away to account for the outward movement of the caliper as the brake pads wear.

Thought the turbo calipers were going to wirk on wrx brackets. Nope. Got some 05 wrx front take-offs and ground one down. SS wheel Clears with about 1/8" extra room . Im a little nervous about rocks and crap getting wedged in between the caliper and wheel but maybe it's a nonissue ...

Suspension and brake install this weekend hopefully. Got the EJ22T pulled today...