Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Newer Forester or newer Passat wagon

I had a '98 Forester and turned it in (at end of lease) for a 2000 Forester, which I purchased. I did a lot of research before purchase and it was the best combination of price, comfort, size, and mileage for me. Btw, I got it with leather and had the dealer put in a sunroof, (Subaru didn't offer a sunroof for the 2000 Forester). Someone mentioned that you might not be able to get the Forester with a sunroof, but there's always aftermarket, even though some people don't like the idea of anyone cutting a hole in the roof of their car unless it's the manufacturer. My roof works perfectly.

Not having driven the Passat, I can't comment on it. Just seeing it on the road, it doesn't look like it has the road clearance of the Forester, but I don't know that for a fact.

I am very happy with my car. Btw, since the Forester is classified as a 'station wagon' instead of a truck, I believe there are some savings on insurance. Good luck with whatever you choose!

I know I'll prolly get some hate mail but I'd go for the Passat wagon with V6 and Quattro AWD. Prolly the only other wagon on the road that turns my head is a Passat or Audi

I could not agree more, and the All-Road too :slobber:

It is funny to see everyone rip the reliability of VW here on the list. My sister in law has a new beetle and has not had a single issue with 58k, my brother-in-law has a 2003 outback 42k, had clutch replaced because of the infamous chatter issues (Went away for 15k now back), head gasket is leaking (or seeping as the dealer refers to it, here is your bottle!), and needed a new paint job because the factory paint was cracking.

I think the new 2005 looks great, I just hope they finally fixed the 2.5 issues. :brow:

I hear this type of argument all of the time about all sorts of things, and it drives me crazy. It's all about sample size. The fact that one person had great luck with a VW, or ten people had head gaskets fail, is irrelevent. The CR ratings are based on a large sampling of owner experiences. I will glady admit subarus aren't as reliable as they used to be. If subaru is in the middle of the pack and VW is at the bottom, just imagine how bad VW's average reliability must be.

VW didn't make the bottom of the list by making reliable cars.

I hear this type of argument all of the time about all sorts of things, and it drives me crazy. It's all about sample size. The fact that one person had great luck with a VW, or ten people had head gaskets fail, is irrelevent. The CR ratings are based on a large sampling of owner experiences. I will glady admit subarus aren't as reliable as they used to be. If subaru is in the middle of the pack and VW is at the bottom, just imagine how bad VW's average reliability must be.

VW didn't make the bottom of the list by making reliable cars.

AMEN 99OBW !!

~Howard

:banana:

The VW Passat is near the top of my list to replace my 2001 Outback. I know several people with 2002 and 2003 Passats and the cars are very reliable and have never been to the dealership. My Outback has been back for many recalls, including the outstanding fix for the possiblilty of leaking head gaskets.

If I could buy a FWD only Subaru, I would probably take a look, but I have found the AWD to be of no real advantage and it's just extra weight to carry around here in the midwest. If it snows enough that I need AWD or 4WD, I will stay home.

I also want a sunroof in my next station wagon, and the goofy sunroof system on the Subaru wagons is not a solution. I want the roof open over the driver, not the rear seat passengers.

The VW Passat is near the top of my list to replace my 2001 Outback. I know several people with 2002 and 2003 Passats and the cars are very reliable and have never been to the dealership. My Outback has been back for many recalls, including the outstanding fix for the possiblilty of leaking head gaskets.

You cant really tell how relible the car will be untill it well over 150,000 miles on it, and i dought those 2002, 2003s do.

• 4 months later...

ALL VW's suck in terms of reliability. C'mon, go check out Consumer Reports reliability ratings and JD Power satisfaction ratings. They exist for a reason.

My ex-girlfriend bought a 2000 Cabrio in 2002. It has been in the shop, um, something like 20+ times! Note that 3 were recall issues - it took them 5 trips to fix the driver power window! Car now has 60,000 miles on it and the check engine light came on - no big deal, VW dealer says $650 will fix it! Forget what parts they want to install but sheesh - 60,000 is pretty low mileage for the extent of repairs her car has needed.

Granted, she might have gotten one made on a Friday, but I too looked at the Passat/Audi AWD A4 wagons. In terms of upfront cost, ongoing maintenance, and reliability, buying a Subaru was a no-brainer.

I love the styling and comfort of those cars, but wouldn't touch one with a 10 foot pole....

~onlinegemini

"No matter how broke I am, I always seem to find 2 cents"

Make sure it is a GERMAN BUILT Passat. The Mexican built VWs are GARBAGE as far as the electrical systems are concerned (Not that VWs have always had good electrical systems, but the Mexican ones are worse).. Ask JonOfScio, he works at a Volkswagen dealer.