Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Different oil pans on 4EAT automatic transmissions

I'm creating a new thread because I feel like this question is pretty buried in the one about my entire swap.

I started with a dead 1991 4EAT with 4.11 gears.

I bought a JDM 1997 4EAT with 4.11 gears, that came on a japanese 2.5l car.

The JDM transmission had a dented in oil pan, so i swapped on the one from the 91.

Presslab informed me that some of the years of 4EATs had different depths of oil pans, but I am not able to just compare the 2 I have, due to damage and location.

I am looking for any and all comparison info, including stamping patterns, cut-off years, dipstick lengths, etc.

I am looking for any and all comparison info, including stamping patterns, cut-off years, dipstick lengths, etc.

plug around on Subaru's website: opposed forces, it delineates different part numbers/years and is from Subaru.  it's worth the learning curve, go play with it. 

Well, a quick check of opposedforces shows 2 oil pans, 31390AA030 for pre-95, and 31390AA060 for 95-on.

I noticed a difference in the mounting flange surface when I swapped the pans on mine, but it looked like an engineering decision to eliminate the rubberized gasket, in favor of flange sealant.

Presslab said that the 2 different depths of pans had different depths of filter screen pickups and different dipsticks. I already swapped the dipstick over, but I need to know if I have to once again pull and scrape the oil pan I just reinstalled, so that I don't starve the fluid and bork the "new" transmission.

I understand that these 4EATs are supposed to be just as durable and reliable or whatever, as a 5MT, but the level of repair annoyance seems WAY higher.

so you have a 97 JDM trans with 91 pan and 97 filter (and therefore pick up).

if Subaru was nice - they could get a 91 and 97 transmission oil pan and you could measure the depth difference and see.

can your local dealer do that for you?

that assumes JDM pans and transmissions are the same, which i would think they would be.

I understand that these 4EATs are supposed to be just as durable and reliable or whatever, as a 5MT, but the level of repair annoyance seems WAY higher.

by this age/mileage, prior maintenance/history/driving habits become a huge factor and are often largely indeterminate.

Edited by grossgary