Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Deleting AC compressor '86 Turbo GL

Doesnt work, under hood is mega crowded with it, I want it gone.  Ok to pull the compressor and hoses?  I can only see 1 bolt holding compressor bracket on...has to be more than that?

Matter of fact, I want to yard out whatever I can under the hood.  What are my options?

My '87 is not a turbo, but the bracket is the same. I yanked the AC compressor, took a length of 1" aluminum rod stock and cut it to length to fit where the compressor was, drilled and tapped it 3/8-16 on both ends, and bolted it in as a support pillar where the compressor used to be. You could also use a piece of pipe cut to length and a LOOONGGG 3/8" bolt and nut.

You will need a different length inner V-Belt if the compressor pulley is gone, I used a NAPA Premium XL belt, size 9345. The longer outer belt that runs the alternator doesn't need to be changed, only tensioned tighter.

Pictures, yes!  So I'll pull the alternator and that one bolt and the compressor comes off....apparently.  You know, I have a spare ea82 [no AC] in the shed. If it has alternator bracket on it I could use it.

It depends on who installed the A/C.

Dealer fit sometimes have different brackets to those which were factory fitted (it's really random what you get over here).

The non-A/C cars have different brackets for both the power steer pump & alternator (which is moved over a bit)

There is another bracket underneath the A/C compressor. You'll need to remove the alternator to see it. 3 bolts holding that on.

1 behind the tensioner arm, 1 down between the A/C compressor & power steer pump. They are both horizontal & you'll need to find them by feel or a mirror.

The right side one needs to come out fully, the left side only needs to be loosened so the assembly lifts off.

If you can't find the 3rd one, then you need to find another hobby :P

Unless you want to find & change the brackets, then you're going to have to make up a dummy compressor

The a/c compressor runs year round.  In the winter, it helps suck the moisture out of the air so than dry warm air is blown onto the windshield in the defrost mode.  If no compressor, then you are blowing warm moist air onto the windshield and the defrost has essentially been crippled.

Edited by scoobiedubie