Ultimate Subaru Message Board

changed CV joints. clunking noise, not on turns. Is it my seals?

Hi,
I just put two new CV joints into my 1988 GL. Now it is making loud clunking type noises. (not when I turn, just occasionally when driving) My question is this: I put new seals on the inside. When I put them on I just used the new CV axles to pull them into place. It seemed to me they did not go in as far as the old ones did (which were snug against the wheel bearings). If I did not get my seals in far enough would that cause a noise or? Anyone know anything about this? They were a pain to change and it is so lame now that it is not all wonderful...
Thanks, Patty

Edited by BestCar/OnlyCar

One other thing...

Did you remember to re-install the roll pins where the DOJ meets the transaxle spined shaft?

This. +1

Mr Miles Fox did a video on the front bearing/seals also. I recommend a press or the hot/cold trick, but to each his own:

Edited by Ibreakstuff

Well.....that's not the best way to install the seal.....it probably isn't seated all the way but htat won't cause a clunk.

I am guessing that you've got a balljoint, tierod, or swaybar bushing knocking over bumps.

• Like 1

Did you install the convex washer and the cone washer correctly? The washer that goes over the cone washer doesn't get installed either way, there's a specific side to have "out". It should be marked if you look carefully.

Also;

Is your brake caliper loose perhaps?

If you have car ramps, pull up on those and slide underneath and start grabbing things and trying to move them. You might get lucky and find something that has play in it that shouldn't