Ultimate Subaru Message Board

head gasket, which way?

Bolting on heads yesterday and I don't know which way they go on. I see no sign on the gasket itself for 'top', 'front', left right etc.

They are DNJ gaskets if that means anything. The metal rings around the cylinders are separated on one side and joined together on the other side. On the joined side there are sort of rubberized beads around the coolant passages. Does this side go towards the head or the block or does it matter?

I bolted one on before I thought that it might make a difference. If I have it on wrong can I remove it and put it on the other side or do I need new ones? Car hasn't run obviously.

I bent one corner of both gaskets trying to get it out of the plastic package. Will that matter?

I have seen on this board that folks say not to use sealants on the head gaskets. What is the reason for that? If one did use sealant, what would be the best kind?

I would avoid DNJ headgaskets, though only because they're unknown and it's too much work to gamble. Subaru and Fel Pro are the go to gaskets makers of choice.  Cheap ebay specials are known to leak, though I can't verify that DNJ's are "cheap ebay specials".

If you already torqued it down, it is standard practice to not reuse the headgasket due to the way in which they're supposed to crush and seat based on the torque procedure.  But if you don't mind re-doing the job again then try it. If they are cheap headgaskets on heads that aren't resurfaced, and you don't mind doing the job again, just chance it and see what happens.

Simply line up the headgasket holes on the block holes to determine correct fitment.  Pay partiuclar attention to the lower corners where there's a pressurized oil port in only one of the corners.

Many don't use sealant because it's not called for by Subaru or needed.  Properly done on a good engine the head gasket will not leak, so it's unecessary, kind of like asking "why not clean my grass blade with Windex?"  Without overheating, turbo failure, and with proper maintenance these engines easily see hundreds of thousands of miles without headgasket issues.

Thinking about while driving around doing errands today, I realized that they can only go one way. I will have to look at them again, but I think that makes that question moot.

But staying on the head gasket subject in general, I've seen some references to retorqing the heads and that the Subaru manual specifies that that should be done. Can anyone give some details? Just turn it on and run it until the coolant gauge shows its hot?, drive it some number of miles?

Can you do it by taking the valve covers off or do you have to remove the cam towers?

Hi! you have some many details to know.

Fisrt of all you need an specific tool to adjust number 1 and 9 bolts.

The sequence of torque you can see it on google images searching EA81 Head Torque, you will find the sequence there.

The torque you must apply is 22 ft-lb then 43ft-lb and finally 47 ft-lb, don´t need to use any sealant and you do not need to remove the cam towers because thats bolts (#4 and 5) also adjust the head.

Finally 6 mm bolts need 8 ft-lb torque, and you hae to torque thats bolts after all the head torque

Drive the car for at least 1000 km and then, with the engine cold, retorque to 47ft-lb-

Curious what the DNJ head gasket looks like, can you post a picture of one? Does it have viton sealant on it?

I saw a ITM HG on ebay that looked even better than the OEM gasket, no idea as to how it performs.

Edited by Ibreakstuff