Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Float level on 83 subaru GL

Is there a way to adjust the float level without taking apart the carb? My subaru is running fuel heavy, i think at about 75% in the little window on the carberator. Or do i need to buy a carb rebuild kit and take it all apart?

Thanks!

It's well worth doing the full rebuild.  ~$30 for the kit at Autozone.  If you just want to adjust the float, as Tremmor said, you have to remove the choke body of the carb, which is basically the entire top of the carb.  If you have access to compressed air you can remove the choke body, adjust the float and pull and clean the emulsion tubes and such that are found under the lid, so to speak.

If you rebuild, you get a new float needle and seat, accelerator pump, o-rings for the venturis, etc,..so there are some major advantages to doing it up right.  Either way, I always tell people to cut the wire to the anti-dieseling solenoid and put spade or bullet connectors on it so you can unscrew the solenoid without twisting off the old original wire.