Ultimate Subaru Message Board

My '83 GL Coupe - Hardtop SSS

TheLoyale

Its not that clean. The underside is horrible. Wheel arches are slowly going away, and the rockers are gone. Underside of the hood is pretty nasty.

I love this Coupe, sits nice and reminds me a '79 Bluebird 110SSS. I would like to get a clean set of these wheels.

5622380663_3e525a7be0.jpg

And of course the this oldie, but a goodie.

Leone3.jpg

Leone1.jpg

Its not that clean. The underside is horrible. Wheel arches are slowly going away, and the rockers are gone. Underside of the hood is pretty nasty.

I love this Coupe, sits nice and reminds me a '79 Bluebird 110SSS. I would like to get a clean set of these wheels.

5622380663_3e525a7be0.jpg

I have a set. Missing one center cap, though. Let me know if Matt gives you that set of Jackmans. Let's make a trade  :)

• Like 1

Got some 15" trailer wheels yesterday. Planning on redrilling the hubs and running the 6x139 bolt pattern. These currently have 195/60/15 tires, which should still fit. The backspacing on these is about 4" so I think they should fit well without sitting out too much. The Toyota wheels use a 4.75" backspacing and I know those line up right with the fender lip.

These also have the Safety bead, so they should be just as good as any other wheels.

2014_0805AG.jpg

2014_0805AH.jpg

2014_0805AE.jpg

2014_0805AF.jpg

Comments, questions...?

What NGK wire set number is correct for the EA81? The 9350 two of the wires are a little snug and the Coil wire is way to short, this set would work on an EA82.

I found another NGK number but I dunno how long anything is. NGK 9336. I don't remember what wire set I put on the Skiwagon, and I didn't post the part number in the thread.

Anyone have some insight?

Found my answer to the wire question. Indeed NGK 9350 is for an EA82, I figured as much since the Coil and Disty are close together.

I will be ordering NGK 8002, and will look it up for a Brat to confirm the correct part number. This must have been the route I took prior.

So I put the wheels on to see how they fit, I think I will need to go with 195/50/15s the 60s are a little too big and will rub under compression during turning. They measure about 24" overall Diameter and 50s measure about 22" so that is pretty much factory size.

2014_0806AE.jpg

2014_0806AF.jpg

2014_0806AG.jpg

2014_0806AH.jpg

2014_0806AJ.jpg

Also since I took the drums off, I noticed both sides had a major build-up of bearing grease slathering the shoes and drum. I'm guessing I have bad wheel seals? I will need to get new Shoes, Seals, Drums and Hardware as its all garbage. I may get new bearings too, there is some play in the race and sound like crap.

2014_0806AB.jpg

2014_0806AC.jpg

Question, can I swap FWD EA82 rear brakes onto the EA81? Also I think the front EA82 brakes will bolts up, correct? Since I am running bigger wheels, the calipers won't be an issue anymore.

I like where this is going, the wheels look good on there! I just ended up getting fender mirrors of ebay US when I did mine, I think they were for a corolla or something. They fit and work well, but the plastic has started to fade over time.

• Like 1

Brakes don't leak (Yet) I don't know if they did leak at one point, but the wheel cylinders are probably original, much like the rotted out brake lines. So I dunno, maybe someone splooged grease everywhere when they did brakes lol.

I'm gonna replace all this junk anyway.

Good idea on the corolla mirrors, I will have to look for some.

Fox sounds good, I will send you a message on Facebook.

So now I have anew issue with the EA81. Here is a run down.

Desmogged 2bbl Hitachi nothing on the carb except for what it needs to have to make it run correctly. All new fuel and vac lines, NO VAC LEAKS.

New NGK Platinums and NGK Wires.

New Cap and Rotor.

Engine harness looks good.

I ran Seafoam thru the motor Sunday, (Thru the Brake Booster) got it all out and was running even better, it ran pretty excellent. I started it Tuesday and it is backfiring thru the carb and seems to only be running on the driver side cylinders. Replaced plugs again as I thought I fouled 1 or 2 out. Same issue. Driver side plugs are dry and look normal, Passenger side plugs are wet like they are not firing, checked Cap and its good, not defective. I checked the wires and they are all good.

I didn't check compression yet, I don't think I need to, motor only has 75,000 on it. Would a sticking valve even cause this? Also, the rotor shaft doesn't have any play in it, only a fraction of side to side movement which seems normal, Timing gear is solid and no play, not chewed, nothing. I feel like this is a timing issue, but don't see how.

Now the motor pops and pisses but won't fire, it will backfire thru the carb while cranking. I see a nice mist of gas shooting out of the carb when it backfires.

Ideas on where to go next? Tomorrow, I am going to put the disty back in and retime it, whole nice yards. Also there is no alignment dot on the body of the disty to align the Timing gear. I see some type of tool marks, but not a solid dot like I've seen on the Skiwagon. 

Not sure what else to look at.

Got this thing running beautiful again! I dunno what it was, I pulled the disty, and reset the timing to about 10* BTDC and its running very nice. Maybe a chunk of something for stuck in a valve or something. The Rotor gear and Cam look really nice, clean and sharp, like new. There is also no carbon/varnish on the rocker assembly. Can't wait to run Amsoil in it!

We'll say next summer for #1 and probably after I die for #2. Then I can go to "Heaven" Subaru Heaven that is ;)

I guess next up for the coupe is to get some of the missing parts I need, like the rear side molding on the pass side, a new grill (Honey Comb style) and light bezel along with the new marker light. I would also like to stick a '80-'82 front bumper on this and turn the marker lights into Marker lights that double as blinkers. xbeerd did a wiring diagram for me a while ago, I will have to figure this out, I have new relays to use, so I'm half way there :P

I do need to get some new 195/50/15s mounted so I can actually roll the car around, I can't clear the 60s when I turn it. I also need to redrill the hubs. So that may become the most recent upcoming thing "To Do" This car needs new rear dampers and probably front ones.

Also need to replace the driver side front wheel bearing and possibly the hub plate which I may be getting soon. I also need to put ball joints on it, MOOG of course.

I took part of the dash apart tonight just to clean it down and check things out. Make sure everything is snug, since someone dug thru it once (Missing a screw) Also missing one of those little covers for the dash bezel to hide the screws. Anyone have one?

Full brake refresh/upgrade needs to be in order as well. I also need Loyale front wiper arms in good condition, I want to put the J-hook style on this car vs the pin style. 

No real body/chassis work is going to happen this year, I need to finish the Loyale up before winter so I can stick it back in the garage  :rolleyes:

We'll say next summer for #1 and probably after I die for #2. Then I can go to "Heaven" Subaru Heaven that is ;)

I guess next up for the coupe is to get some of the missing parts I need, like the rear side molding on the pass side, a new grill (Honey Comb style) and light bezel along with the new marker light. I would also like to stick a '80-'82 front bumper on this and turn the marker lights into Marker lights that double as blinkers. xbeerd did a wiring diagram for me a while ago, I will have to figure this out, I have new relays to use, so I'm half way there :P

I have a honeycomb grill. No idea what it's worth. I'll text you a picture tomorrow.

I think the fan may be one of those universals, probably like a 10". Once I get a new Radiator, Waterpump, thermostat, I will be buying one 12" thin fan to mount to the radiator and run it off the factory thermo switch (Since I have a new one of those too) I also need to somehow remake the lower rad support, looks like its ziptied to the radiator but is rotted extensively.

As for the grill. Shawn W may be sending me one as well with the corner light and light bezel. We'll see what I get. If anything, bring it with you, if I can't give you an answer by then.

Cheers!