Ultimate Subaru Message Board

My '83 GL Coupe - Hardtop SSS

TheLoyale

Change of plans, since it would cost me about $400 to power coat the Subie Wagon wheels. The Coupe will be getting the Pugs off Safariwagon wrapped in street rubber and Safariwagon will be getting something a little nicer :P

Ben, thanks for the offer. I have seen the post :)

Just finishing up my headlights. Still need to purchase new High-Beam lamps but the rest is complete and all bolted together with Stainless. I would also like to find new adjusting springs, I cleaned up and repainted the old ones, but I would like to find new, possibly stainless Extension springs.

Thanks again to Bratman for sending me non rotted out headlight buckets. They cleaned up and repainted very nicely.

2014_1025AA.jpg

2014_1025AB.jpg

2014_1025AD.jpg

2014_1025AE.jpg

2014_1025AG.jpg

2014_1025AH.jpg

I will be bolting the headlights back in tomorrow and then I will take the car for a little spin for the first time since I bought it! Hope non of these rotted Brake or gas lines give way just yet!

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

Haven't updated this in a while. So before it snowed (December) I was able to take the coupe out for a little ride, front end has some noise, I thought it would have went away with the new bearings, Axle and non stripped Hub plate, but the noise still persists. Didn't have time to really dig into it before I parked it for the winter, but will need to figure this out (It could still be many things)

So far, I have secured a rust free Fuel tank for it, I believe it is a 4WD tank from a Brat, so at least I will still have the option of swapping the car to 4WD at some point. 

I also purchased the window weather stripping for a '68-'69 Camero/Firebird just to see if I can make them work for the coupe, its a long shot and probably a waste of $45 lol.

Right now the car is snowed in and there isn't any getting it out till spring.

I've always been a Datsun fan, doesn't matter what it is. I have a 1975 280z that i'm trying to bring back to life. Its being a bit more stubborn than my subarus have been. Looking forward to seeing where your build goes with this. Some inspiration from some 70's Datsuns won't be a bad thing in my book! 

• Like 1

I've always been a Datsun fan, doesn't matter what it is. I have a 1975 280z that i'm trying to bring back to life. Its being a bit more stubborn than my subarus have been. Looking forward to seeing where your build goes with this. Some inspiration from some 70's Datsuns won't be a bad thing in my book! 

I remember the timing chain setup on those ^^^ "L series" Datsun engines are bit fun until you get used to setting them up. I used to do lots of head gaskets, valve grinds, and clutches on those. Nice!

Edited by Crazyeights
  • Like 2

I never got into Datsuns/Nissans for the matter of having never bought one. Although there are a lot of JDM models I just love. Fairlady 2000 roadster for one, Straight-6 powered 240 would be awesome too.

I guess if I had to pick a JDM dream car, it'd be the Toyota 2000GT or Even a '70 Celica Liftback/Fastback.

Subaru should have taken the EA81 body and made a Fastback!

I remember the timing chain setup on those ^^^ "L series" Datsun engines are bit fun until you get used to setting them up. I used to do lots of head gaskets, valve grinds, and clutches on those. Nice!

Good to know! I'll hit you up if I have and questions :lol:  I just had the head rebuilt, got a new timing chain set, still need to order the cam and then I can put the L28 back together. I'll be swapping over to factory 240 carbs (the fuel injection didn't survive sitting 25 years) , and a five speed soon after that! 

I never got into Datsuns/Nissans for the matter of having never bought one. Although there are a lot of JDM models I just love. Fairlady 2000 roadster for one, Straight-6 powered 240 would be awesome too.

I guess if I had to pick a JDM dream car, it'd be the Toyota 2000GT or Even a '70 Celica Liftback/Fastback.

Subaru should have taken the EA81 body and made a Fastback!

Love the early Celicas I've spent some time looking for one, but I have too many projects as it is. I looked at a fairlady roadster before I bought my Z. very neat cars. It would be very interesting to see a ea81 fastback. All I can picture is an ea front end matched with the rear of a saab 900, and I'm having a hard time visualizing it in a way I like. 

Edited by 1982gl4
  • Like 2

Cool! I'll be glad to help if I can.

Good to know! I'll hit you up if I have and questions :lol:  I just had the head rebuilt, got a new timing chain set, still need to order the cam and then I can put the L28 back together. I'll be swapping over to factory 240 carbs (the fuel injection didn't survive sitting 25 years) , and a five speed soon after that! 

• Like 1

Cool deal. I will check it out and see how it looks. I was thinking of taking the tank to a shop who seals it from the inside out, a buddy with a Imperial did that to his steel fuel tank, turned out really nice. Dunno what it costs off hand, but it may be a good route.

When I put the rust free tank in the Skiwagon I cleaned the tank and stripped it down nicely and recoated it with truck bed liner and hard shell undercoating (No way it was gonna rust from the outside) Shouldn't rust from the inside if someone keeps the tank full.

Wonder what happened to that car since the new owner in PA?

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I will finally have a complete set! I already have a nice condition box and Key, I just need the key chain to complete the set! :)

_57.jpg

_57S.jpg

Also got a key blank for the Coupe. The shank is the same, but the plastic fob is of a newer style, probably for an EJ Subie. Either way, I'll have a genuine key for the GL now!

key.jpg

I never knew about these until a few years ago. Miles Fox showed me a box he go out of one at the junkyard long ago, it didn't have the key or chain, but I thought it was cool, Then I ran across a box in the junkyard and found a key from an EA81 and now I found the chain/box on ebay. Its pretty awesome!

Much like those EA82 headlight covers, which I have like 3 NOS sets lol.