Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hi, I have a 1997 Subaru Legacy Brighton Wagon with a 2.2 engine. I am trying to replace the clutch and have run into a bit of an issue.

My friend who is helping me said that after he removed and re-installed the new clutch disc clutch cover and bearings. Almost put everything back together then tried to install the clutch cable it appears that the fingers (diaphragm springs) are depressed (flat). (not sure if that makes sense, I am not a mechanic, but willing to learn)

I have compared a couple models of replacement clutches and they look the same, one from LUK and the other from Exedy, no difference between the 2 manufactures,

Is there something we should be doing that we are missing. 

I understand that the new clutch disc is thicker than the older one due to wear.

I thought maybe I needed a different flywheel, but apparently its fine also.

Looking for suggestions.

Thanks.

The springs on the pressure plate will flatten (move towards the flywheel) as the plate is bolted down. They will appear to be almost completely flat when the plate is properly installed.

This picture is kind of dark but you can see how flat the pressure plate fingers are. http://beergarage.com/imgs/Suby/Lift/13.jpg

I'm not quite getting what you're asking about the cable though. Do you have it hooked in the cable sheath bracket on top of the trans?

Edited by Fairtax4me

I had a similar problem recently on my 2002 Forester.

Same as you, the diaphram-fingers looked flat when I opened the box. And even after I installed the clutch-cover, the fingers were still flat. When I drove the car, the clutch pedal was biting very high. If I floored it going uphill, the clutch would slip.

I returned the clutch (cover + friction-disk + bearings) to RockAuto.

Then I bought OEM parts from Subaru (these cost me quite a bit more), and reinstalled. Now all is well, and the clutch bites further down on the pedal.

HI

Well I took the clutch out I bought, took it back to NAPA. Went to AutoValue and bought a different brand bye LUK.

We installed it tonight, same issue with the diaphragm fingers going very flat after we torque it down.

So its probably not the replacement clutch.

Thinking it might be the Fly-wheel, not sure.

Going to the Subaru dealership tomorrow, ask questions and compare parts.

May have to pay more and get one from them. this is a weird problem.

It looks so easy to do.