Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

BirdMobile "Under the Hood" Photos - for Opus

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 BirdMobile

BirdMobile

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 202 posts
  • Salt Lake City, Utah

Posted 27 July 2014 - 07:15 PM

Forum member "Opus" has asked for some "under the hood" engine compartment photos of my 1987 GL Wagon (the "BirdMobile").

The Birdmobile had its engine completely rebuilt recently, a 2 month long process that included pulling the engine, replacing every seal, gasket, Head bolt and washer, O-ring, spring, hose, and belt. I also replaced all sensors, the water and oil pump, and completely re-did the PCV system. While I was at it, I replaced the $h!7achi carburator with a Weber, and replaced the mechanical fan with a 2nd electric fan. I also replaced the radiator, thermoswitch, and all 4 front CV and DOJ rubber boots. I went ahead and deleted the AC while I was at it, and pulled most of the engine wiring harness and re-wired it using my own waterproof connectors and cable. New Optima battery and battery cables too. All new plugs, wires, disty cap and rotor. Zip tied it all up, for that final touch of quality.

Oh... I also painted the "EA82" casting identifier and all flywheel timing marks using fluorescent green fingernail polish.

Yeah... I love my car! :)

First photo, the engine compartment:

Attached Files

Edited by BirdMobile, 27 July 2014 - 07:41 PM.

#2 BirdMobile

BirdMobile

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 202 posts
  • Salt Lake City, Utah

Posted 27 July 2014 - 07:16 PM

Second photo - Mechanical fan delete, belts, front of Weber, AC Delete "Pillar", and open timing belts:

Attached Files

Edited by BirdMobile, 27 July 2014 - 07:25 PM.

#3 BirdMobile

BirdMobile

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 202 posts
  • Salt Lake City, Utah

Posted 27 July 2014 - 07:33 PM

A "Side View" photo:

Attached Files

#4 BirdMobile

BirdMobile

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 202 posts
  • Salt Lake City, Utah

Posted 27 July 2014 - 07:47 PM

The "BirdMobile", in all its rusty glory! :

Attached Files

#5 opus

opus

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 738 posts
  • Trout Creek

Posted 27 July 2014 - 08:55 PM

Thanks for the pix, that's sure clean.  My '86 is about that naked, now if I could make my '86 turbo look that naked!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users