Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hi all,

I'm new and have a question about my 91 legacy 2wd automatic

It runs great starts fine, But when I try to put it in reverse it won't. Not w/o a lot of patience. The thumb trigger won't push in but sounds like a switch is closing. After 20 or so times it finally works. Once in gear no problem r-d-123. Seems more finicky over 4 days.

Is there a switch that allows it to be put in rev? If so what's it called? The clicking seems to come from the steer column. Any thoughts appreciated.

Cheers

You may have a flaky brake light switch, which if bad or misadjusted won't allow the shift enable switch (I don't remember the official name) to operate, which is the sound you hear in the steering column area. You may also have issues with the switchgear in the gear selector itself.

yeah!, lets just answer questions and not make people search to actually enable them to gain more intimate knowledge of their own vehicles! YEAH. SWEET!

I'm all for having people learn about their cars by reading, but having such a jerky attitude about actually helping someone with something that may not be mentioned in this forum, by someone who may not even have the knowledge on how  to search for their specific problem smacks of the same garbage that pollutes NASIOC and car forums everywhere.