Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Anybody try running 32's on an ej'd ea82 body?

El Presidente

I'm in the market for new tires and I'm thinking of bumping from 31x10.50's to 32x11.50's. I'm running an ea82 body, EJ22 in front of a d/r 5mt, 3.90, with stock drivetrain/axles, 6" lift and 1.25" extended radius rods. I can't imagine it makes THAT much difference, but sometimes the obvious escapes me. From the looks of it, I think they'll fit and not affect turning radius too much. Is it worth it?

Josh

Edited by El Presidente

The width might be a problem.How bad do you rub the front frame rail now?

With my 8" lifted EA81( with EA82 suspension) I still rubbed the framerails some times.Unless EA82 framerails are radically different than EA81 frame You must be rubbing the frame rail pretty good with only a 6" lift.So jumping up to a wider and taller tire would probably kill alot of your turning radius.

Another thing to think about is flotation. On my Ea81 hatch with 31x10.50s the tires were actually too wide.In the mud they would sit there and spin,while they were perfect in deep snow because it wouldn't sink in.Due to the lightness of the subaru compared to the trucks they were designed to go on they ran extremly low pressures just to wear evenly.It was common to run 12 psi in the front,and 10 psi in the rear on the highway. 

With 11.50s on the heavier EA82 you might run into the same reduction in traction from not enough contact pressure.If my hatch was still around I would have a set of 31x9.50 rather than 10.50 just so it sinks in just a little bit and grabs traction.The mud around Idaho has alot of clay in it, so mud tends to form as a greasy layer on top of hard dirt,with 1-4 feet of water on top...

After doing some quick math with the calculator on the computer I'm estimating that the front tires of your current setup have a ground pressure of 17 PSI.With 11.50s you would have a ground pressure of 15 psi.My hatch by comparison had a ground pressure of 12 PSI on the front.An average person has a ground pressure of 8 psi.A stock toyota 4runner has a ground pressure of 25 psi,a M1 abrams tank has a ground pressure of 15 psi,and a mountain bike has a ground pressure of about 40 psi.

All that means is you will have less force pushing the wider tires into the ground, so you will be more likely to sit and spin on top of the mud rather than sinking down to grab traction.IF you are having problems sinking into the dirt than wider tires would help, if your not sinking down enough narrower tires would help.If your not convinced the Camel Trophy Land Rovers ran tall and narrow saw blades and they went everywhere.

Edited by Uberoo

Also I did run 31 1250s on my lift I was able to turn all the way both directions................. I still have the wheels that went together with those tires, but you can get a huge assed ticket from your tires sticking out.....................

lol

Jeff

Also I did run 31 1250s on my lift I was able to turn all the way both directions................. I still have the wheels that went together with those tires, but you can get a huge assed ticket from your tires sticking out.....................

lol

Jeff

Garden Edging.