Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Need clutch replacement on my 99 Legacy wagon. The car has 144K mi on it. Two questions:

1. Is anything else recommended to change while replacing the clutch due to easier access/time savings as things are taken apart?

2. Is it better to order a new clutch from one of the Subaru parts mail order or just let the shop (this will be an independent shop) do the whole thing including getting the part(s) all by themselves?

Thanks for any advice.

Alex

Have them replace the rear seal(s)...I think there is one cam seal and an oil seperator plate. As for ordering the clutch yourself that is up in the air. How much can the shop get one for? How do they feel about installing customer supplied parts...some shops frown on this. Tell me how it goes as I will be needing a new clutch soon. BTW, has the clutch really died? I've been thinking mine has been going out for the last 50,000 miles but it just keeps on going...and I won't replace it until I either can't get the car in or out of gear. Good luck.

things i did when i changed my clutch:

clutch disc : $75

pressure plate: $80

throwout bearing: $25

pilot bearing: $8

oil separator cover: $13 (if yours isn't metal - the old ones are plastic)

rear main seal (cheap, but i got it in a gasket kit)

this is the price for parts only, at www.1stsubaruparts.com. if you got them all from the dealer, it would be close to $300, theirs was closer to $200. i also resurfaced the flywheel for $10, totally worth it. the new clutch is much better than the original, though still not too forgiving.

if you oil separator plate is already metal, just have it resealed with rtv sealant. the plastic ones are prone to cracking and it is cheap insurance to replace it while you are in there...