Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1987 LSD and diff lock help

I am fairly new to the subaru scene but fell in love with mine after I drove through two feet of fresh powder snow with absolutley no problem or hesitation on semi-bald tires!

My question is....what is the diff locks function? Mine seems to work half the time. The light come on the dash when I turn the switch and I hear the click underneath the car and then the light goes off but then I dont hear the second click. Then I turn the switch back off and I hear the click again.

Now the lsd. I am framiliar with its function however I do not know how to check if it is working properly. I know there is a way to adjust the "preload" but I don't know how or if I should. It had the proper amount of fluid but the car left me stuck last winter several times when it shouldn't have so I am slightly puzzled. Seeing as the car has over 250k on the odometer I figured it was best to check these things out. any help appreciated.

The clicking it probably just the 4WD engaging and disengaging.  The LSD is not adjustable with other than the oil ingredients, and is always working to keep both tires turning at the same speed until a sufficient amount of torque occurs to cause that engagement to slip.  If you have LSD, then a metal tag on the rear differential will say LSD.  When you do not have 4WD engaged, you can hear the rear differential pop when you start a turn on a dry parking lot.

Your limited slip in the rear (LSD) has clutch packs in it that lock the diff normally.

They only break loose and allow slip under enough tractional difference, such as turning on a dry pavement corner.

At 250k, there's a good chance those clutch discs are worn out and need replacing.

This is not a beginner friendly task. Preloads and disc replacement can get tricky.

As for getting stuck, you need to lock the center diff to keep traction going front and rear, otherwise your center

diff acts like an open diff and your car can become a 1 wheel drive, whichever tire has the least traction.

Twitch

The 510 guys have a lot of information on rebuilding and setting/increasing preload in our lsd's. You have to dig a little bit, but its out there. I recall a few detailed articles in the dime quarterly too.

Subaru R160 clutch LSD part numbers:

485907001 Disk Friction

485907002 Disk Friction

485937001 Washer

485937002 Washer

485937003 Washer

485877000 Plate Friction

485897000 Disk Spring

There are nissan part numbers for each also, but who know if they are or will be available.

Edited by Ibreakstuff

I have ran LSdeed rigs that acted kinda funny at times.

You need to take the cover off and spary it out real good with a couple of cans of brakleen. Then add your proper LSd gear oil, or regular gear oil and LSd additive. I have more luck with the regular gear oil and additive myself. Also, do this while the rear of the car is in the air so you can turn it as you clean.

There is also a pretty good write-up about them I got from a 510 guy a while ago. It is in the "offrood FAQ" . In the offroad section of course.

cheers

Edited by monstaru
  • Like 1

The clicking it probably just the 4WD engaging and disengaging. 

His rig doesn't have conventional "4wd" in the sense that you cannot put it in 2wd.....

It's Fulltime AWD with a diff locker.  Refering to the center diff.  Rather than the newer style AWD w/viscous Limited slip center diff.

So it's AWD or locked, with locked being equivilent to the 4wd of the more common trans.

When you talk about the 510 I assume you are all talking about the Datsun? As far as the clutch wear.....I assumed it pretty much toast. I'd like to say I'm not a beginner with cars but thats not for me to decide! Whatever I lack the krusty locals make up for. So if I was to tackle this rebuild, where could I find the parts and about how much would I spend? would it be cheaper to put in a new diff?