Ultimate Subaru Message Board

98 Legacy L wagon 5 speed transmission swap question

The 5 speed manual transmission on my 98 Legacy L wagon (2.2 litre) is shot and I need a little guidance in finding a suitable replacement.

As I understand it, my vehicle has a 3.9 final gear ratio so I need to find a replacement with the same ratio. The main question that I need answered is whether a transmission from a 2004 Outback with 3.9 gears will work? The 04 has a 2.5 l motor and mine is a 2.2, does this present any problems? Other potential issues is hydraulic clutch vs cable, can a hydraulic equipped trans be converted to cable?

Any help would be appreciated.    

Thanks for the reply, To be honest, I expected someone to tell me that. Regardless of the origin of the transmission, I know that it is a 4W-TY754VCBCA, an internet search of that part number indicated that it fit an Outback but perhaps in a different market?? Anyhow, I believe that the 4W-TY754VCBCA is a 3.9 ratio tranny (can you confirm this?) and if so, is it a direct swap? 

Thanks.

I believe that the 4W-TY754VCBCA is a 3.9 ratio tranny (can you confirm this?) and if so, is it a direct swap?

there are only 2 ways i know to confirm the ratio.

1/ pull the drain plug for the diff / trans,

and count the teeth on the ring gear with a flash light and some kind of marker / scratch-er.

(this assumes the drain plug is under the front diff like the auto trans.)

2/ search for the manual trans used in the year model, trim, at http://opposedforces.com/parts,

and once you find the matching trans ID#,

look up the corresponding ring and pinion gears.

the ratio will be listed.

if the trans is a foreign market, it will be much harder to locate.

opposed forces only lists US and European markets.

I looked up the specs for the exact part number thats on the transmission and it say's it's a 3.9. The seller is also telling me it's a 3.9 so I think I'm good to go. 

At this point I'm more concerened with compatibility of electrical plugs, clutch fork and things like that. I've read that as long as the ratio is tha same, it will work so I'm going to buy it and get started right away.  

the 04 outback manual trans ,

see this link ,

it has the trans ID# you have listed.

TY754VCBCA

http://opposedforces.com/parts/legacy/us_b12/type_20/manual_transmission/transmission_assembly/

now see part # 15 in this link,

the rear diff for thew same 04 outback 2.5L engine,

if you scroll down to the part number you will see that the ratio is listed as 4.11.

http://opposedforces.com/parts/legacy/us_b12/type_20/train/differential_individual/illustration_2/

THE 04 OUTBACK MANUAL TRANS IS NOT A 3.9 RATIO.

do not buy the trans.

it does not match.

Thanks so much for this info.

Why is there so much conflicting information out there on these Subaru trannys?

I assumed (yeah, I know) that subarugears.com would be credible site for this kind of info by virtue of it's name but I guess not?

Gearhack also shows it as a 3.9

Edited by AEROCOOK

I told the seller the tranny wasn't a 3.9 but rather a 4.11 and as I expected, he referred me to the numerous application charts on the net stating that it was a 3.9. I told him the charts were all wrong and that he could count the teeth on the ring gear to confirm it's a 4.11. (37 teeth is a 4.11 correct?)

Either way, he wasn't too disappointed because he bought the tranny for his outback and was only re selling it because he needed a 4.11 and mistakenly believed that this one was a 3.9.

My search continues for a 3.9.  

There will be other issues with trying to bolt the 04 trans in. Easy enough to overcome if necessary, but you're better off to just get the right thing.

Check car-part.com. Cars in your year range will show matching transmissions from 95-98. Just be sure to check for 2.2 and L, Base or Brighton model in the listing.

Outback or GT models have 4.11 ratio and will not work.

Edited by Fairtax4me

I finally found a tranny, it's an exact match so there shouldn't be any issues with the install.

I found the transmission at one of those Japanese parts distributors, it has 153,000 km and was apparently tested prior to removal.

The cost of the transmission and a new clutch came in at just over $1000, more than double what I paid for the car, I guess that's the cost of teaching a 17 year old how to drive stick.

Thanks for all of the help, and a special thank you to johncleggleston for stopping me from buying the wrong one, I was less than an hour from going to pick that one up.