Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1979 Subaru FE : Rarest of the rare!

I came across a funky little soobie that I did not know existed; the 1979 Subaru FE. This car is a manual 5spd front wheel drive car. It gets around 50mpg on the hwy! The rarity of this car is unbelievable...(Just try researching on google)
I don't know much about subarus, but I knew this one was special.
Check out how short the window gap is! If anyone knows ANYTHING about this type of car, please enlighten me!

I don't know much about restoration, so I just listed it on ebay 7/30/14.

Pretty cool car, but I don't have the means to restore it :(.

Please let me know if you have any history on these awesome little cars!

post-54377-0-31645000-1406856640_thumb.jpg

post-54377-0-66340300-1406856773_thumb.jpg

Edited by jjpeck

I have one. It's has the seec-t engine and higher compression than the other 70's cars. The five speed with double overdrive also has a lower final drive too, 3.7. I think it's neat. The 50 mpg is a highway under 80 thing. I usually get 40-45 around town.

Awesome! Do you have any more pictures of it? What is te seec-t engine?

The seec-t was subarus emissions and fuel mileage engine. Subaru Exhaust Emissions Control Technology or some such thing. It basically had 9.3 compression vs the 8.5 or so of the others. It also featured an air suction valve to add air to the exhaust stream to help it catalyze.

http://subaru-philosophy.com/post/36197498447/seec-t-has-been-proven-to-be-a-winner

Most of my pics of its progress are here:

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a190/kingbobdole/Fe/

This is what it looked like when I got it.

null-6.jpg

Single owner, but he used the hell out of it.

Still curious about stampings on block and heads for the FE. I've passed one FE engine along and supposedly it had the cam and pistons , etc. But the FE also had a taller 2nd and 5th gear to help. So those trannies should also have a special designation. Those get that car up towards 50mpg, highway.