Ultimate Subaru Message Board

93 legacy "manual" button? & cost opinion

My dad and his girlfriend sandy went to look at a legacy for their daughter:

93 legacy 2WD automatic

125,000 miles

good condition - dad said so, I didn't see it personally

$2400 dollars

do you think that's a good price?

a question they had was, that on the shifter where the 4WD button would be (like a EA82 4WD auto, it's under the one you have to push to change gears) there is a button called "Manual", what does it do?

-AK

manual button......from my site:

Manual Button

The manual button has some controversy as two what its function is. But I'm here to disavow any of those rumors. Firstly, the automatic transmission normally runs a power split of 90% front 10% rear. (for awd) This is under normal driving conditions. Secondly, the manual button ONLY works when the shift lever indicator is in the positions "3" or "2".

Ok, so you're ready to hear what this thingy does. It is a very primitive version of traction control. When the shift lever is either 3 or 2, and the manual button is depressed, it will keep the transmission from going into first gear. By doing this, you have less torque, more evenly distributed power, and a less chance to slip and slide around.

So to recap, when the shift lever is in the 2 position the transmission stays in 2nd gear. When the shift lever is in the 3 position the transmission chooses between 2nd and 3rd gear. If the shift lever is any other position then the two above, the manual button does absolutely positively nothing.

I have FWD 4EAT with the manual button. just like legacy777 says, it is a primitive traction control device. Since, I have drove 215,000 miles with the manual button, because i don't like the auto, it works in gears 1-2-3. Since the car has RPM limters, you can't jump to 1st gear goin 55 MPH.

For instance...

You are at a stop light, you have your auto in 1st, no matter how fastor slow you accelerate, the tranny will not upshift. As a matter of fact, if you dony change the gear into 2nd it will continuously bounce off the rev limiter.

The reason I started doing the manual shifting thing first of all is lack of engine power, and I always disagreed with taking off in second gear just because I didn't want to push down on the accelerator all the way.

If the manual button is selected, it will stay in 2nd. But if you are in 3rd it will stay there unless you are going to fast, this gear will not bounce off the rev limiter, it will simply change to 4th gear.

Max

Akira-

Last November I traded in my '93 2WD. Some rust, needed new tires and a complete front brake job, engine sensors acting up... the Dodge dealer (where I bought my used '01) gave me $1500 for it. That's a few hundred more than trade-in blue book according to kbb.com so $2400 doesn't seem too out of line.

I'd check the bluebook website as a starting point.

You are at a stop light, you have your auto in 1st, no matter how fastor slow you accelerate, the tranny will not upshift. As a matter of fact, if you dony change the gear into 2nd it will continuously bounce off the rev limiter.

Max

Unless they changed something from the legacy 4eat to the impreza 4eat that isn't true. If I leave my selector in 1 it will shift up to 2nd gear when it hits 6500 rpms. however if I leave it in 1 and slow down to an acceptable speed for 1st gear it will downshift into that.