Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Rubber dampener in shift linkage peeling apart

My 84 BRAT has a D/R 5 speed swapped in. I bought it swapped so I don't know what is from the 5 speed and what is from the stock D/R 4 speed.

I was having an issue on a related portion of the shift linkage and pulled this piece to fix it. When I pulled it out, I saw where this rubber vibration dampener was coming apart and I figured I should fix it before I reinstall. The only question is HOW? It is peeling from both pieces of metal that it is in between and the whole thing is pretty dry and cracked.

This is the part while still on the car:

AVum1Hv.jpg

Here it is pulled out:

sBe7X5N.jpg

Here is the problem:cN9e8hQ.jpg

Gloyal - That was my first thought as well. Probably the quickest/cheapest/best solution.

Anybody else have a clever idea before I just bolt it?

I'm wondering now if there are any other little rubber blocks like this that might need to be repaired somewhere in the linkage. I guess I'll peek back under there tomorrow.

I didn't even realize that mine was broke until you posted this thread. Just thought they were supposed to be seperate. I didn't really notice a problem with the mount being broken, maybe the shfter was a little sloppy. I repaired mine while still in the car this weekend and I don't reccomend this method. It was a royal pain to get a nut on top threaded on.

I still have to crawl back under and adjust it because now if I push it too hard into 5th it rubs on the drive shaft a little. I may just have the rubber bumper compressed too much.

The more I read this board the more things that I find wrong with my car. Thanks for the info guys.

The other trick is to remove that rubber, weld the 2 pieces together,

but install a rubber  block onto the 2 bolts that hold it to the rest of the shifter plate, but between those 2 plates.

Use Nylock nuts on the bolts so you can do them up, but not too tight without them undoing.