Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Rubber dampener in shift linkage peeling apart

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 jmoss5723

jmoss5723

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 203 posts
  • Pittsburgh, PA

Posted 31 July 2014 - 09:45 PM

My 84 BRAT has a D/R 5 speed swapped in. I bought it swapped so I don't know what is from the 5 speed and what is from the stock D/R 4 speed.

I was having an issue on a related portion of the shift linkage and pulled this piece to fix it. When I pulled it out, I saw where this rubber vibration dampener was coming apart and I figured I should fix it before I reinstall. The only question is HOW? It is peeling from both pieces of metal that it is in between and the whole thing is pretty dry and cracked.

This is the part while still on the car:

AVum1Hv.jpg

Here it is pulled out:

sBe7X5N.jpg

Here is the problem:cN9e8hQ.jpg

#2 Gloyale

Gloyale

It's a sickness

• Members
  • 9,104 posts
  • Corvallis, OR PNW

Posted 31 July 2014 - 10:08 PM

Drill a hole through and install a bolt through the whole deal.

Common issue.

#3 jmoss5723

jmoss5723

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 203 posts
  • Pittsburgh, PA

Posted 31 July 2014 - 10:23 PM

Gloyal - That was my first thought as well. Probably the quickest/cheapest/best solution.

Anybody else have a clever idea before I just bolt it?

I'm wondering now if there are any other little rubber blocks like this that might need to be repaired somewhere in the linkage. I guess I'll peek back under there tomorrow.

#4 Prwa101

Prwa101

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 706 posts
  • Sandy, OR

Posted 01 August 2014 - 12:27 AM

^^ what he said. Works perfect on mine.

But use some glue/lock tight or steak it so it doesn't back off when your on the road

Prwa

#5 jmoss5723

jmoss5723

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 203 posts
  • Pittsburgh, PA

Posted 01 August 2014 - 10:23 AM

Sounds like this is the plan. I'll put it together tonight.

#6 stratman977

stratman977

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts
  • Belle Vernon, PA

Posted 04 August 2014 - 07:50 AM

I didn't even realize that mine was broke until you posted this thread. Just thought they were supposed to be seperate. I didn't really notice a problem with the mount being broken, maybe the shfter was a little sloppy. I repaired mine while still in the car this weekend and I don't reccomend this method. It was a royal pain to get a nut on top threaded on.

I still have to crawl back under and adjust it because now if I push it too hard into 5th it rubs on the drive shaft a little. I may just have the rubber bumper compressed too much.

The more I read this board the more things that I find wrong with my car. Thanks for the info guys.

#7 wagonist

wagonist

User Awaiting Email Confirmation

• Members
  • 442 posts
  • Sydney, Australia

Posted 04 August 2014 - 09:21 AM

The other trick is to remove that rubber, weld the 2 pieces together,

but install a rubber  block onto the 2 bolts that hold it to the rest of the shifter plate, but between those 2 plates.

Use Nylock nuts on the bolts so you can do them up, but not too tight without them undoing.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users