Ultimate Subaru Message Board

So my engine "seized". My daughter never put oil in it and now its gone. We love this car and want to bring it back to life. My problem is getting the correct engine. I swapped engines before so I can tackle this easily. This is a outback wagon 2001 manual tranny. in my search it seems theres not many engines that fit. I find a lot of Automatics. Im thinking they wont work because of egr? I really want to buy one off ebay because I can do 12 months same as cash no interest payments.

Please help. Last thing I want to do is buy an engine have it shipped and not fit some how.

Any 2000-2004 Legacy or Outback motor should fit fine as a donor. Ditto to the foresters of same years and I think the 02-04 Impreza with the 2.5. There were small part number changes from year to year so not as many options return in searches as would match your car.

I use ROW52.com and car-part.com as a good source to find parts. Always check craigslist as well.