Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I have been doing some looking around and I am a little confused and have some questions.

I am looking to buy an 02 impreza with an ej251 with a blown headgasket, oil in coolant and white smoke out of exhaust.

I would like to swap in a 2.2. This won't be my first engine swap. Whichever engine I get will be coming out of the junk yard. I want the 2.2 because of the better gas mileage, and I don't want to have to deal with changing out a 2.5 headgasket.

1. Does the engine ej22 have to be phase 2?

2. I have read that I will need to keep the 2.5 intake manifold. Do I tranplant in the 2.2 sensors and stuff into the 2.5 manifold? If I have to use the 2.5 sensors and stuff on the manifold will I still get 2.5 gas mileage or will it automatically adjust to the 2.2?

3. I have read that I may need to change the cam and crank sensors. Are those internal sensors where I will have to break the engine down and get more gaskets or external and just swap?

4. Will it use the 2.5 wiring harness?

5. Do I need to swap ECU and if so will the 2.2 plug right in place and function with the 2.5 manifold?

6. Anything else?

It will be going into a NY car, so I can't throw a check engine light in order to get it inspected.

A Phase II 2.2. will bolt right in.

Install your complete 2.5 intake onto the 2.2 and your done.

A phase I 2.2 you would need to swap all the 2.5 wiring onto a 2.2 intake and you would have no working Idle Control Vavle.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the information everyone! I ended up not getting the bug eye. I bought a 93 impreza L awd 1.8 today though. I will be swapping in a phase 1 2.2 eventually but I need to get this one running and driving first. The clutch is shot, hardcore. Foot off of the pedal before it engages and slippage while driving. So I will be doing a clutch/flywheel job first and run it in the 1.8 for a while. I will be asking a question about this in a separate topic.

1.  For the 2.2 swap, I have read that I just swap the intake manifold and it's a direct swap. Is this correct?  2.Anything else that needs to be done? 3. Do the 1.8 and 2.2 flywheel weigh the same and if the 1.8 is lighter should I use that instead of the 2.2? (will ask this question in other post)

Thanks 

again!

Correct - in this case (not true of older swaps) - the intake manifolds are interchangeable.  Just bolt the Ej251 intake to the EJ22.  or keep the EJ22, doesn't matter.

*sometimes* you have to also swap the drivers side cam sprocket (remove 17mm bolt) and crank sprocket (it slides off).  there are two styles of triggers on them.  you can either check to make sure they're the same, or just install the EJ251 sprockets on the Ej22 and be done with it for 100% certainty.  might be nice being a first timer to just keep the Ej251 sprockets with the vehicle.

Since you should be installing a complete timing belt kit anyway - it's not really any additional work.

Ej22's are interference engine so if the timing belt breaks or any of the pulleys or tensioners fail, you'll be needing a head job and valve repair.

the timing belt kits are a steal on Amazon - $115 for everything, nutty.

I would use an EJ22 flywheel though I think the difference will be negligible either way.  It wouldn't surprise me if older EJ18 and EJ22 flywheels are the same.

Phase II EJ22's:
1999 Legacy EJ22's

1999-2001 Impreza EJ22's

Keeping in mind that during those years Legacy and Imprezas can have EJ25's and in 1999 the Legacy EJ25 is a Phase I, the Impreza RS is a Phase II EJ25.  Thoroughly confusing.

Edited by grossgary

Sorry I skimmed over your last post and missed that. Yes swap the ej18 intake over to the phase 1 ej22 and bolt it in. The ej18 and ej22 flywheel share the same part number according to opposedforces.com and all NA ej awd clutches will interchange.

• 4 months later...

I'm new to this, Here's my question can I use a 2.2 engine & transmission from a 99 Impreza Outback Sport  to replace engine &trans in 02 Outback wagon 2.5 ? I've heard that 98 2.2 was last year that could be used. I would like to keep this engine & transmission together if possible (They are matched set with only 43,800 miles). What else would have to be swapped ( CPU,TCM) ? HELP!!!

From my research phase 2 has to go with phase 2, and phase 1 has to go with phase 1, without having to rewire or go the frankenmotor route. Not sure if the 99 is a phase 2 or not, I have read it is and is not. Someone else might be able to chime in.

No clue on transmission.

I have a ej251 that will work with that year. It will need the heads put back on it, but have them too. It's pretty easy taking the engine and tyranny apart and back together again. 

I'm new to this, Here's my question can I use a 2.2 engine & transmission from a 99 Impreza Outback Sport  to replace engine &trans in 02 Outback wagon 2.5 ? I've heard that 98 2.2 was last year that could be used. I would like to keep this engine & transmission together if possible (They are matched set with only 43,800 miles). What else would have to be swapped ( CPU,TCM) ? HELP!!!

Engine will swap easy just use intake from the 02 Outback. 

Trans.....nope.....different gear ratios.  If you swap the rear diff, and the TCU with it it could work.