Ultimate Subaru Message Board

95 2.2 legacy L swapped into a 99 legacy L 30th anniversary

I have a 95 subaru legacy L wagon, 2.2, auto trans. The auto trans went out on the 95 and I found a 99 subaru legacy L wagon 30th anniverary edition, 2.2 (different from the 95 2.2) with 5 speed trans. I seen that was same body, both OBD 2, both wagon L's. The 99 wagon had already had motor pulled, and I was told everything but block was in trunk. I pulled the motor from the 95 getting it ready to install in the 99 wagon when I noticed a few differences. Trans bolt holes (but the the ones there I can use) so no issue there, but then seen wiring plugs where a little different, so I thought I could use 99 motor wiring harness and put it on the 95 2.2, seen a few issues there but still do able (I have yet to do this wanted get thoughts first). Also thought of using 95 motor wiring harness and swapping out the 2 big main plugs so the 95 will plug to the 99, not sure if this will work. I still have to remove torq plate from 95 motor and replace it with the new 99 flywheel and clutch, hope that works as well. From what iv read and seen on web this swap will not work, I dont see why it would not, but I should have researched more before buying the 99 I guess LoL. 

the 95 in to the 99 L is not an easy or ''plug and play'' swap.

in fact, i would not call it swappable at all.

the 99 is a phase 2 engine and the 95 is a phase 1 engine.

you can probably get it to run,

but it will never be trouble free,

you will always have a ''check engine light''.

however,

depending on what is wrong with the 99 engine,

you could use the 95 block with the 99 heads and stuff.

this would get the 99 car running,

but maybe not the most affordable solution.

what is wrong with the 99 engine.?

Edited by johnceggleston

I dont have the 99 engine. I have heads that im not sure r any good because motor was ran without oil and blew. I have motor wiring harness, starter, air box and breathing tub, brackets, oil pan, radiator and fans, tons of bolts, thats bout it for the 99 motor. Not worried bout engine check light, as long as it runs, I would have no worries, the 95 2.2 is a great running motor, just need to get it in the 99 body, what ever it takes to do it.  

Ok I have solved this issue with swapping the motor, I just swapped the main wiring harness under the dash so I could use my 95 ej2.2 and ecu. no biggie sense they are both legacy wagons, same body style and both L models, everything plugged right in with no issues.  Now need to know what wires or how to wire in the 5 speed trans into a automatic trans wiring harness. There is 3 plugs on the 5 speed, that I have to wire in. 

The AT/MT identifier pin on the ECU needs to be grounded to set the ECU to MT mode.

The plugs on the trans are Vehicle speed sensor, neutral position switch, and reverse light switch.

Speed sensor plugs should be the same, if not its only two wires and they should be the same colors.

Reverse light switch can just be connected to the reverse light wires on the AT Park/Neutral switch plug.

Neural position switch is there to tell the ECU when the shifter is in gear or in neutral. This needs to be hooked up or the ECU will set IAC codes. You'll need the FSM to find the correct pins on the ECU for this, as well as the MT identifier pin. FSM will also help with wire colors for the reverse light switch and the VSS.

http://www.main.experiencetherave.com/subaru_manual_scans/

If you swapped the whole harness.....the ECU's MT/AT identifier is already correct.

Nuetral and Reverse switch can both be hooked up to the AT shifter wiring.(big square plug on passenger side of Auto trans)

Reverse will be 2 wires........Green and Green/white IIRC.......one will have IG. switched 12v+ and the other goes to the reverse lights.

Nuetral...There will be a Black/red that is ground......and a LightGreen/Black or Lightgreen/red wire that when grounded.......illuminates the "N" on the dash.  These 2 go to the nuetral switch on the trans.

Thanks guys that what I needed to know. I figured it was easier to swap whole wiring harness and then wire in 5 speed trans. So far everything going great, just 2 days in and just have to add wires for trans.