Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Constant missing, advice?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Gwywnc

Gwywnc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts
  • Cherokee nc

Posted 01 August 2014 - 10:56 PM

I have a 1984 subaru gl, it has been missing since I bought it. It is only missing on one cylinder. I have replaced the plugs and wires and the distributor cap and the one cylinder still has a mis. The plug is getting spark. I can't figure out what else could be wrong. Anymore have any advise? Thanks

#2 brat82

brat82

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts
  • Siskiyou Mtns...S.Oregon

Posted 02 August 2014 - 04:17 PM

Have you done a compression check? Adjust your valves/check valve clearance?

#3 Gwywnc

Gwywnc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts
  • Cherokee nc

Posted 02 August 2014 - 04:37 PM

I haven't done any of that, is there a way to check the compression at home without a tester? And it says not to adjust the valves

#4 JuhaKankkunen

JuhaKankkunen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts
  • Argentina

Posted 02 August 2014 - 04:42 PM

Check valves. Did you check if you have motor oil level descend?

#5 JuhaKankkunen

JuhaKankkunen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts
  • Argentina

Posted 02 August 2014 - 04:46 PM

Because what happened to me last year was that i had a ring problem so there where some oil consumption and the spark get wrong so it produced the missing cilinder. So i rering, did heads gasket and now its running like a brand new engine!

#6 brat82

brat82

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts
  • Siskiyou Mtns...S.Oregon

Posted 03 August 2014 - 03:04 PM

Not to adjust because you have hydraulic lifters?  Do you know which cyl. isn't firing?  Pull one spark plug wire at a time with engine running and see which one DOESN'T change engine operation, thats the dead one. Then you can check the valve adjustment of that cyl.  If you are dealing with hyd.lifters, just remember how many turns you back off adjuster, so you can put it back in that position if thats not the problem.  

Compression test would show you all cyls. in relation to each other, psi. If you found a dead cyl. with comp. guage, you could then back off adjuster, and check compression again and if it came up(psi), the valve/s on that cyl. were open, no compression. Then you just need to readjust lifter. You could check what the lifters are set at, by checking the one next to the dead one, when it's in firing position(where rotor is pointing in dist. cap etc.)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users