Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Help me save my 93 Loyale

I have a 93 Loyale with the 1.8 and a 3EAT automatic. It is so gutless and I am tired of having sand kicked in my face by lesser, newer vehicles. I know there are many threads but I would be much obliged to get pointed to them. I would like to swap in a 2.2 and a newer automatic. At freeway speeds, the car feels like it needs another gear. What is possible with this car? Body and interior are still way above average and I love the car. Its not an all wheel drive car nor do I intend to convert it. I just want it to be a more spirited driver. Any help, suggestions or warnings appreciated. Thanks! 

Would a 2.2 bolt up to the 3EAT or should I consider  an engine/tranny combo out of a Legacy? I would like to keep it an automatic. (Not looking forward what would be involved with linkages and interior challenges.) Would a 2.2 matched with the 3EAT even show an improvement? Thanks for the vid links!

The 3 speed wont bolt up to a ej22 motor without a adapter plate and would probably crap out sooner than later. You could try to source a 4 speed off a gl-10 or something but there hard to find. If your going to do it  buy a legacy that is fwd if you don't want to have awd and swap the motor, transmission, electrical components for the motor, wiring harness, ect. If your not good with wiring i wouldn't suggest doing it because there will be a lot of it.

I have the exact same car, 93 fwd Loyale, automatic. I have no problem keeping up with traffic. I even get 2nd gear tire chirp when it's to the floor. You're not pushing the gas pedal far enough.

It also helps to manually shift. When you're at a stop light pop it into 1. Accelerate, hit two when you're ready, then d for 3rd.

Could use another gear for the highway but it's not that big a deal.

I would like to direct you to exhibit A.

http://i995.photobucket.com/albums/af77/perpetuallynumb/0714121444.jpg

I had a 90 loyale 3at fwd, I daily drove it for a year. Nothing in this world will give you the motivation for a swap quite like driving with that POS slushbox. I popped a timing belt trying to reach the theoretical top speed of a 3AT, it was very loud but not very fast.

With some work you could go AWD too and a 5MT swap would be a lot easier (esp the wiring).

I had a 90 loyale 3at fwd, I daily drove it for a year. Nothing in this world will give you the motivation for a swap quite like driving with that POS slushbox. I popped a timing belt trying to reach the theoretical top speed of a 3AT, it was very loud but not very fast.

With some work you could go AWD too and a 5MT swap would be a lot easier (esp the wiring).

I think you missed exhibit A in my above post.

I think you missed exhibit A in my above post.

Oh I saw it lol and in real life that is about where the belt popped. 100 mph in a 3AT, there is probably a short list of people that have even attempted it lol.

I wonder at what speed the EA's would be drag limited, my wrx is around 145 mph (150 with a tailwind).

With the 3 speed it wasn't drag limiting me, obviously, it was gear. I didn't have any left and these motors in stock form really start to gasp for air past 6,000rpms it seems.

I've gotten my GL up to 106 and that seemed to be about all he had, though I was high up in elevation the carb wasn't tuned for so under ideal situations with a 5 speed spfi I'd wager you can hit 115.

Check the compression.  You probably need new cylinder head gaskets and intake manifold gaskets, and the valves ground.  Also, new plugs, rotor and distributor cap.   A GL10 transmission will not work because it is a 3.7 gear ratio and you have a 3.9 gear ratio drive system.  Once that auto tranny goes out, the car is totaled.  Then it is only worth what you can get for the parts.

I enjoyed exhibit A. I see you have the same check engine light I have. Maybe it needs an O2 sensor. I put a piece of electrical tape over it. I forgot to mention it also has AC which (when in use) cuts into performance even more. We have had a few 90 degree days this summer and the AC still blows cold. I have manually shifted it and that does help. I do notice a flat spot at lower to mid RPMs. O2 sensor?

Most likely bad egr solenoid. If you search around here a bit you'll find info on how to diagnose the check engine light, though 9 times out of 10 it's a code for a bad EGR solenoid. I wired one from an 89 tempo on and it works great :-)

Oh and a/c *should* have a cut off feature when you give the car more than like 50 percent throttle you'll hear a click behind the glove box that should be disengaging the compressor while you're foot is on it for more power, but yeah, air conditioning hurts 90hp lol. If you remove the clutch fan you can also reclaim a little responsiveness, just make sure it doesn't adversely affect your cooling (ideally it shouldn't)