Ultimate Subaru Message Board

For the past year and several thousand miles I've been trying to track down a noise.

It started as a faint ticking that I assumed was a heat shield. It would come and go and speed up or went away with rpms. I played around with the heat shields and used a hose to the ear stethoscope to no avail. I even considered that it may be a lifter ticking.

It has gotten worse so I drove it up on ramps and crawled under one more time. I finally determined that it's coming from the flywheel/torque converter area. It now sounds like a clanging. Almost like a bolt is rolling around down there. It still comes and goes and seems to disappear above idle speed.

I can barely see the teeth and a plate. I spun it around and the bolts that I could see are all there. Could the flywheel be cracked or the torque converter coming apart maybe?

I've been driving this like it was a heat shield rattle but now I'm worried that it will grenade itself. Anybody have a similar experience?

Thanks,

It's not common for the flex plates on these to crack but it is possible.

Torque converter problems are very rare.

There is an access hole in the top of the bell housing on the right half of the block. Sort of below the throttle body. Remove the black plastic cover plug and make sure the torque converter bolts are all tight. Beyond that you would need to pull the engine to inspect the flex plate.

There is an access hole in the top of the bell housing on the right half of the block. Sort of below the throttle body. Remove the black plastic cover plug and make sure the torque converter bolts are all tight. Beyond that you would need to pull the engine to inspect the flex plate.

OK, you're going to have to be a little more specific for me I guess. Other than metal and wires I see nothing there except for the knock sensor.