Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Diagnosing rattling noise?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 KRB64

KRB64

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts
  • Central KY

Posted 03 August 2014 - 05:17 AM

For the past year and several thousand miles I've been trying to track down a noise.

It started as a faint ticking that I assumed was a heat shield. It would come and go and speed up or went away with rpms. I played around with the heat shields and used a hose to the ear stethoscope to no avail. I even considered that it may be a lifter ticking.

It has gotten worse so I drove it up on ramps and crawled under one more time. I finally determined that it's coming from the flywheel/torque converter area. It now sounds like a clanging. Almost like a bolt is rolling around down there. It still comes and goes and seems to disappear above idle speed.

I can barely see the teeth and a plate. I spun it around and the bolts that I could see are all there. Could the flywheel be cracked or the torque converter coming apart maybe?

I've been driving this like it was a heat shield rattle but now I'm worried that it will grenade itself. Anybody have a similar experience?

Thanks,

#2 Fairtax4me

Fairtax4me

Su bah roo'n

• Gold Subscribers
  • 8,826 posts
  • Charlottesburg, VA

Posted 03 August 2014 - 08:36 AM

It's not common for the flex plates on these to crack but it is possible.
Torque converter problems are very rare.

There is an access hole in the top of the bell housing on the right half of the block. Sort of below the throttle body. Remove the black plastic cover plug and make sure the torque converter bolts are all tight. Beyond that you would need to pull the engine to inspect the flex plate.

#3 KRB64

KRB64

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts
  • Central KY

Posted 03 August 2014 - 12:08 PM

Ah, thanks for the tip. I'll check that out.

Much obliged

#4 KRB64

KRB64

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts
  • Central KY

Posted 08 August 2014 - 05:36 PM

There is an access hole in the top of the bell housing on the right half of the block. Sort of below the throttle body. Remove the black plastic cover plug and make sure the torque converter bolts are all tight. Beyond that you would need to pull the engine to inspect the flex plate.

OK, you're going to have to be a little more specific for me I guess. Other than metal and wires I see nothing there except for the knock sensor.

#5 Fairtax4me

Fairtax4me

Su bah roo'n

• Gold Subscribers
  • 8,826 posts
  • Charlottesburg, VA

Posted 08 August 2014 - 11:05 PM

Other side. Right side from inside the car.

Here's a pic of the cover.
You can see the hole in the pic as well. You'll see it from the opposite side.

06.jpg

Edited by Fairtax4me, 08 August 2014 - 11:05 PM.

#6 KRB64

KRB64

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts
  • Central KY

Posted 09 August 2014 - 05:23 AM

Oh, THAT right side...

Thanks,

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users