Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Ellevehc's gl build thread

So I went on a little advanture to South End in Kent area. Came back with a rear trailing arm out of a 83 gl! It was a really nice looking car. Really like that body style so if anyones looking to trade hit me up! 

Anyway, here is what I picked up. I am wondering if I can just install that in as is without having to remove the rather stuck axle. Its weird because they look about the same size but this one moves a lot more, but it doesnt look damaged. 

There are also some nice looking wheels in the trunk if anyone wanted to know. 

mtM1xts.jpgPcZUyMr.jpgMTvGeUA.jpg

Nice Jackmans!

Beware! Swapping  parts to a gen 2 are doable.  I think the bolt diameter is going to cause problems trying it the other way around on the pivot bolt..  I could be totally wrong but from the explanation above I don't think so.  test fit and make sure before modding anything. I would hate to see you stranded because of this.

Ok so progress! Lucky, maybe. So I went to start working on the car. I took off the old hub just to check things out. I noticed something... The machining marks were still on the threads of the shaft! Which meant that it must not have stripped. Only the hub. I rushed to buy that hub and it fit really tight! Now that its on I forgot to put on a new oil seal, washer, and outer bearing/spinner thing. The outer bearing did have a few little dings. Well I greased everything up really well and now it drives perfectly fine. While I order the seal, outer bearing, and outer washer the grease should have time to catch any debris so when I open it up again in a week or so I can clean everything out and re grease it with the new components. I got really lucky that there is 0 slop in the actual inner bearing. So looks like I have a backup trailing arm assembly and axle! :D

Also having a hard time finding some part numbers. Especially the outer bearing. The washer can and oil seal can be had at oreilly but not the outer bearing. 

Yeah I'll pick a few up. The car is frustrating me in other ways. Semis shouldn't be passing me uphill while I have it floored barely keeping 55... It was funny at first but now the gutlessness at sub 17 mpg is just getting stupid. We will see what the Weber gives me.

Edited by ellevehc

Just wondering is your temp going up a bit?  I am thinking it could be a plugged cat.  You have done everything else I can think of.  I dont have a good spare for you to try out or I would have you drop by and grab it to see.  I do have a catted Y pipe but I am unsure of how good the welds are so as not gas anyone out.  If you want to try it drop me a line. other wise someone may chime in if you post it in the wanted section.  If you know a good welder that could have it gutted and still retain stock appearance then there is no possibility of a future plugged cat.

Temp is staying below half. I actually do have a converter, I could put it on when I go to get the O2 sensor plug welded on. But yeah, the car isnt running too hot, nothing is glowing red hot. If the weber and converter dont do it then I may just have to end up looking for an impreza wagon instead and sell this to someone that can go through with an EJ22 swap. Its a great candidate because the car is solid other than a cut cv boot.

Well got the hitachi out. Now just have to figure out what to plug and what to leave alone. Taking this carb out was a pita... had to pull reservoir and found out there is a coolant passage under the carb... Fortunately radiator cap holds pressure well so not much got into the intake. But fluids were spilled. :(

The weber is on. I think I have plugged everything that needs plugging. Just need to gets some better hoses for the PCV. Thats not set yet. It seems to be running... The same. I have the idle mixture set 3 turns out. Idles ok. A little shaky. Also the worst dieseling I have ever had to deal with. Literally just keeps on going and going and going and going and going until I just kill it by putting it in gear. So I take it 10 btdc isnt enough? I can try running more initial timing, but you guys have said it should be fine at 8-10. There doesnt seem to be any air leaks. No leaking gas. Here is some pictures of what is plugged and not. If you see something that is a big no no point it out :D

th5Rebu.jpgp8hnVAX.jpgVaARFKe.jpgoP9sbMZ.jpgWhUaHnS.jpgjYuqyur.jpg

Didn't see the vacuum line from carb to disty.

Also the vacuum line for heater control is not hooked up.

You might need a pressure regulator on the fuel line before the Weber - prevents dieseling.

Dems some old-looking plug wires - could be a problem.   New cap and rotor?

Set timing with vac-advance unhooked.

Check all sparkplug connections - I had #2 not connected well after my 'mechanic' finished a HG job.

Keep removing the remaining emissions junk.

Just connected the front port to the dizzy. 

Will need to find heater vacuum line. 

Was the pressure regulator built into the hitachi?

Dem is some old lookin plug wires. Cap and rotor old... But engine was stable/smooth before hand. No missed fire. 

Timing was set unhooked. It is at 10. Just as it was before. 

All plugs are connected. 

Can I remove that black cannister on the passenger side and plug whatever port it comes from? What about the after burner? What other things did I not remove? Do I really need 2 pcv ports or can I just run one and plug the other?

So drove it around for a bit. It'll diesel for about 20 seconds when shut off. Mixture screw is 2.5 turns out. It's also stinking of gas after a few miles. There are no leaks. Timing is set to 10. There's no extra power but it is smoother. This was a supposed to be a reliable efficient daily... it is becoming the exact opposite. It's also running hotter. Was at about 1/3 of the gauge now at about half.

Edited by ellevehc

yes, you need both pcv ports... as you say.    Fresh air enters on the passenger side and exits from the driver side.    Jesek has a good write up on how to set up your pcv circuit with catch.    Clean and check your pcv valve and all hoses... they can plug up.

I removed the entire charcoal canister and every bit of emissions on my EA82.    All that is left is a Weber, disty, alt, and coil.

Make sure you have an OEM Subaru thermostat.   Make sure the thermoswitch in radiator kicks on at about 180 or 190.  'Burp' the cooling system with frontend greatly elevated, cap off, heater full on, engine running, thermostat open.

• Like 1

Ok so update! The dieseling is more under control. The car is not too bad with the weber. Just have to be mindful of the traffic a bit more. Now that it is daily able and in good working order I need to figure out whether to keep it for my brother or go with an obs... Thinking and planning time. 

you can bump the timing up a bit likely.  a lot of people run 20 deg base timing.  I cant seem to get mine running right at any timing below 15.  be mindful of spark knock, but many people including me haven't had any issues on normal gas up that high.

also the webers are sensitive to fuel pressure, where the hitachi isn't.  you will want to check your pressure if your gonna run the weber.  should be between 3 psi and 3.5 psi.  I just installed a $17 inline reg.  its worth gold to just pop the hood and be able to see that your getting fuel pressure.  Also get a 3 way filter and install the return line again.  helps take some of the pressure off the carb

another common problem is water leaking into the manifold from that coolant passage.  the carb gaskets and adaptors aren't generally set up to accommodate them.  some JB weld, epoxy, whatever you want that will fill and block it before putting the carb on.  I welded mine shut.

might double check your jets, 3 turns out is quite a bit,  should be closer to 2 if the jets are standard.  maybe a vacuum leak as well requiring a rich carb to adjust it out?  also check your float adjustment and make sure your choke is not interfering in some way.

Timing is set to 20*

3 way filter sounds like a good idea. Ill have to do that one. 

I replaced all the gaskets. Everything seems tight. No burning coolant either. At least any that I can notice. 

Jets are standard. I checked everything out and it is at 2.5 turns out. Vacuum is stable, so I dont think there are any leaks. Float was set before install, choke isn't interfering.