Ultimate Subaru Message Board

swap decisions?

Jabbott126

ok so i have a 90 subaru loyale turbo (ea82t) motor and trans are both going bad. The car is very clean for its age though. Ive been reading about different swap options for the cars and it seems the popular way to go is 91-94 ej22. thats great and all but i cant find one for the life of me. So after looking for awhile ive found 3 options that stick out to me.

#1: http://centralmich.craigslist.org/cto/4600485282.html

I could take this car and pull out engine, trans, harness, and ecu. Swap it all in and call it a day.

#2: http://lansing.craigslist.org/cto/4597322215.html

Ive talked to this guy. he wants $1000 for engine trans harness, ecu and diff. motor has 10k on it and trans had newer clutch. 

#3: Find an ebay or jdm import motor of my choice. problem ive found with this is not alot of them come with a harness.

let me know what you think

Also once I get one of these cars what all will I need to take from the wiring? Just the main harness that goes to the ecu or do i need to strip more off the car.

And will I need to get the drive shift cut down or will the donor vehicles work.

Same question for axles as well. Will I need to run different hubs to fit different number or splines on the axle or are all Subaru axles the same.

The forester may be a go for the right price. But with a craigslist ad, with such a long winded description, and the words 'rebuilt engine' translate to me a head gasket slap-n-go, not crank and rods (a factory original block would be better than a random rebuild. The forester does have the 4.44 gear, but making the rear diff work would require swapping guts.

the legacy should have a 3.9 gear, for which you can use your ea82 diff. YOu might be able to combo driveshaft parts, but otherwise you will need to shorten the driveshaft 55 mm and hybrid the trans crossmember mounts with xt6 or wrx (which uses the AT mounts on the body.

The legacy would be the easier route for comboing random factory parts to keep it alive, and the 2.2 is more than enough for an ea82. You will want to use wheels that are appropriate for the gearing such as 185/70 14 or 205/60 15 to be within 10 percent of your speedo readout.

either trans will be 25 splines, just use ea82 turbo 5mt axles and you are good. turbo 3at axles are 23 splines, but a 25 spline DOJ will swap on

Your turbo axles will work fine afaik (all turbo except 3AT are 25 spline).

Also, if it was me I would find out why that ej251 (forester) was rebuilt before buying it. If it was just head gaskets then meh, but if it was something in the bottom end there would be a ? if they rebuilt it properly. An unmolested ej22 would be less risk, but also slightly less reward.

Good luck with either car!

Thanks for the input milesfox only part I did t understand was that last little bit. I have a push button 4wd 5 speed trans on my loyale. Would that mean I have the 25 spline axles?

If it's not a turbo car then no.......you have 23 spline axles.

you will need to get some 25 spline axles to work with the EJ trans.