Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Intermittent "clack/scrape" from rear wheel loyale

Was out on some semi rough roads this weekend in my 92 loyale when all of a sudden I started hearing a super loud clacking/scraping? from my passenger side rear wheel. I checked it out and couldn't see anything obvious. I started driving again to hear it and it stopped after a few more feet so I kept on cruising. Then about 10 minutes later, it started happening again. Same routine, hopped out looked around and couldn't see anything but the wheel its self was super hot, like almost burned my hand. I still had to get to point B so I decided to just keep cruising and figure it out when I got there. The sound continued for a discomforting amount of time, maybe a mile, but at one point when I had to slow way down to get over a rut, it just stopped and hasn't started since. I made it out of the woods and ~100 miles on paved roads since with no issues. But I'm not a fan of problems that come and go as they please without being "addressed".

I did the wheel bearing on that wheel recently, and since it was my first time I am suspicious of it... I also engaged the 4wd a few times but it didn't seem to correlated strongly with it...

Any suggestions on what this could be?

Thanks in advance

Thanks for the reply guys

@dee2: what could the brakes do to cause this? I just replaced the shoes and its a drum I got from the junk yard...the brake cylinder is pretty old too..

@Ibreakstuff: Hmmm, this would be nice if its just a random rock that got in the way and then fell out. Does this happen allot to people? 

loose or broken brake parts could be slopping around in the drum causing the noise. Good time to look for rocks or other debris that may have found their way in

You'll have to pull the wheel off and look for loose/broken parts.  Stuff happens and the only way I know to resolve noise problems is to start digging in to find the source. 

If it's not the brakes or debris check your struts.

Edited by Dee2

It may also be a u joint starting to go

yikes! I just looked up some older threads about u joint failures...I don't wanna go there! Is tehre a reason a u joint would make the noise only from one side? Like I said earlier, the wheel and axle were SUPER hot but ONLY on the passenger rear where the noise was coming from. Is this still consistent with a failing u joint?

I had sounds like that that came and went when my rear axle were falling apart. The circlip inside the diff end holding the axle in the cup was gone and under certain type of suspension situations (full extension, such as under hard cornering, pulling the axle to the end of the cup) it would make a noise. If your boots are in good shape you may have to undo them to check if you want to be sure. The advice about the drums having broken springs is a good place to check too.

Thanks everyone for the input. PROBLEM FOUND! After fighting to get the drum off, I can see the thing that holds the brake shoe in place fell apart causing the shoe to pop out laterally into the side of the drum.

post-49592-0-56833200-1407294989_thumb.jpg

post-49592-0-07370000-1407295049_thumb.jpg

Here are the rogue broken pieces...post-49592-0-12435500-1407295240_thumb.jpg

And well crap...cuz they successfully damaged essentially every other component of the brakes

Here you can see both boots on the cylinder got sliced up and if you look hard you can see a gouge in the brake cylinder itself...

post-49592-0-47594600-1407295017_thumb.jpg

Here you can see the shoe got a nice chip in it...(less than 2K on these shoes too)

post-49592-0-01879400-1407295028_thumb.jpg

I don't have a picture of it, but the drum itself also got a nice gouge in it from the shoe pressing out into it.

*&^(*%%(^^%%$$!!!!!

Anybody know where I can find the stuff to convert to disc? Not looking to pay to replace every component of the drum brakes

Also...would I be crazy to just take off the remaining brake components from that wheel and keep cruisin till I fix it up? The front brakes should be solid as they got new pads within the last 5k miles...

Edited by joe5

I just redid the entire rear brakes on my GL. New wheel cylinders, springs, clips, shoes, and hard line. Total cost was in the $60-70 range. Well worth it.

Cool, yea I guess its just a cost balance, if I can swap to disc for ~ the same price I'd prefer that but If I can't find anything in a local JY I'll go that route. Buying new stuff for disc would be pretty spendy. Also, what is the hard line?