Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Coolant temp sensor '86 Turbo GL10

Boy, there sure seems to be some confusion as to where the CTS is located.  Some say manifold, some say radiator.  I'm talking the one that effects cold starts, high idling, etc.  Where is it located?

The Bosch 0280130026 is the correct replacement I have read.

You're talking about the CTS for the ECU, or the gauge?

The one for the gauge is on the front of the motor, single wire coming out of the loom that goes down to the oil pressure sensor/sender.

The CTS for the ECU is on the manifold on the left half of the motor. 2 wires with a plug that is the same as the injectors. I think it's white, which will make it extremely brittle after 28 years. Be ready for it to break. Get a spare black one from an injector & remove the wires.

so I have a gl-10 and cant seem to find any correct info on what the sensor is on top of coolant housing black sensor two wires know one knows and what does it control I have found and check repaired or replaced all other coolant sensors.as per ive almost restored this car to new 8000$ later.any one know what it is and controls does ect? u can email me at brianwuebber55@gmail if u have good info on it,its a mpfi vin 7 turbo auto car.

EA82 mpfi series 1 of 85 and 86 had the unit on top of the thermostat housing on the inlet manifold and sounds like this is what you are after ? It is the fast idle air supply that bypases the throttle body feeding metered air to the cylinders for cold start fast idle. Might actually be called the FICD - fast idle control device. I think EA81T also had this same. Check the hoses for brittleness and soundness, I have replaced with 1/2" heater hose, also bypassed the bypass and not even use it - just needs a bit of play on cold starts like a carby car with a shot choke :)

FICD is more a valve than a sensor, well, it is not a remote sensor for anything, it is all in house in there with just power and earth conns via ECU ?

We want pics !! of the whole car and lots of them please :)

Edited by jono

Jono, isn't that just the sensor for the fast idle? I thought there was another senson down on the manifold where the coolant passes between the heads. Though its been a while since I actually looked at anything Subaru related so I could be mistaken :P

Opus, I mean get the electrical plug that fits into one of the fuel injectors. It should be the same fitment as the CTS plug, but being black, that plastic is more heat resistant than the white ones (I guess its the type of plastic) so won't be brittle & smash when you try to release the metal retaining clip. You'll need to release the wires from inside the plug to change them, but you can see how that works when you break the white one :P

This is all irrevelant if Jono is right though about the sensor location.

so I have a gl-10 and cant seem to find any correct info on what the sensor is on top of coolant housing black sensor two wires know one knows and what does it control I have found and check repaired or replaced all other coolant sensors.as per ive almost restored this car to new 8000$ later.any one know what it is and controls does ect? u can email me at brianwuebber55@gmail if u have good info on it,its a mpfi vin 7 turbo auto car.

The thing on top of the Thermostat housing is the IAC. Idle Air Control......for high idle during cold starting and warmup.........  It's a valve......not a sensor.....It opens when cold, and closes from heat....both an electrical heater and the heat from the coolant....that's why it's atop the Thermostat housing.

the FICD is a single wire solenoid on the rear of the throttle body...pointing up.........Controls fast idle for A/C use....not part of the "warm up" high idle.

CTS is on the rear of the coolant crossover......on a flat part of the intake/crossover in front of turbo.......might have to move Intake tube to see it.

• Like 1