Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Help me Identify these plugs on a 2002 outback

There are a few plugs under the dash I am trying to identify on a 2002 Outback. 

First set of connectors fell down as they had been tied up but came loose. Both are 6 pin. One is connected to nothing. The other has a plug on it with a wire that simply routes back around to the plug. I have included a photo of them.

They came down from the left side of the drivers foot compartment.

The black connector only uses 4 of the pins

The white has 3 wires on the male side, and only the 1 wire that connects back to the plug on the female side. I have attached a photo of the plugs. 

On the other side of the drivers foot well right next to the plug for the fan control (B80/i20) in the service manual. There are two black wires that were pulled out of their plugs, they had electrical tape on them but were not connected. I suspected they were for the door lock horn notify alarm as it never worked on this car. I connected them and now the horn works when locking the car. 

Now the question is... where did these wires originally plug into? They still have the original pins so I may be able to put them back to their correct location.  And I cannot seem to find the horn in the wiring diagram for the 2002 outback, Page WI-210 (23. Keyless Entry System)

post-40015-0-41364800-1407215777_thumb.jpg

Manufacturers build alot of wire harnesses. To save costs they build the harness with most of the common optional items already wired in, then just leave out the component. That way they build only one or two main harnesses, instead of 12. The loop connector pictured is very commonly found when an electrical component is left out. Something like a remote start module would possibly plug into there if the car were equipped from the factory.

There is a black 6 pin diagnostic connector under the drivers dash. Two black wires with male spade terminals on the ends are taped to or near the harness for that plug. They are simply ground wires for the diagnostic plug. I'm not sure these wires are connected in any way to the horn or security system.

Can you get a picture of the two wires you taped together?

I do believe that is all normal.  That loop is normal, Don't know for what but I've encountered it on harness strips.

The 2 pins with no connector are for grounding diagnosis pins in the black connector for the ABS.

They don't go to any other plug.

The plugs I would agree are normal. But being a person that digs into things. I really want to find out what their purpose is and why they are there. And the reason for the loop. 

The black wire's I can get a picture of later tonight. But I can 100% confirm they are for the horn (Possibly the 4 way flashers as well) for the keyless entry. The horn has never worked on the keyless entry until I connected the 2 black wires together. 

They simply have a male pin on each end and were taped together at some point, just by looking at it you could tell they were connected and had been pulled apart. So connected the horn works with the keyless entry, to beep at you if the doors are not closed when locking etc... So they must have come from somewhere and were connected to each other properly at some point. 

I plan on adding a remote start etc.. to this car and identifying all the plugs will only help later on when doing this. And solve that curiosity thing. 

The plugs I would agree are normal. But being a person that digs into things. I really want to find out what their purpose is and why they are there. And the reason for the loop. 

The black wire's I can get a picture of later tonight. But I can 100% confirm they are for the horn (Possibly the 4 way flashers as well) for the keyless entry. The horn has never worked on the keyless entry until I connected the 2 black wires together. 

They simply have a male pin on each end and were taped together at some point, just by looking at it you could tell they were connected and had been pulled apart. So connected the horn works with the keyless entry, to beep at you if the doors are not closed when locking etc... So they must have come from somewhere and were connected to each other properly at some point. 

I plan on adding a remote start etc.. to this car and identifying all the plugs will only help later on when doing this. And solve that curiosity thing. 

Those 2 male spades taped to the test plug are NOT for the horn.  They are test jumpers.  They are both grounds.....do me a favor.....go unhoook them.....see if the horn still works.

Subaru does not tape toghether wires to connect them.  They tape up test plugs and jumpers and optional fuse and relay holders (which is what the loop is)

You probably just wiggled the wire for the horn while messing round under there.

Those 2 male spades taped to the test plug are NOT for the horn.  They are test jumpers.  They are both grounds.....do me a favor.....go unhoook them.....see if the horn still works.

Subaru does not tape toghether wires to connect them.  They tape up test plugs and jumpers and optional fuse and relay holders (which is what the loop is)

You probably just wiggled the wire for the horn while messing round under there.

Yup, I never left them hooked up. But re-checked the horn afterwards it works. Grabbed a multi meter and they both connect to ground. 

Was this a feature in 2002 adding the extra ground wires for testing? 

The horn never honked on locking the door, but talking to the other, she said it always did honk if a door was left open. Horn always worked normally with the steering wheel.

Wonder what the optional plugs are though.

Also a photo of the two ground wires I was referring to 

wires.jpg