Ultimate Subaru Message Board

John Bloom/Mudrat79

Well what prompted me to write this post was I have some money saved up and I'm starting to build my dream subaru. Looking to do a lift. So who out there does lifts? I prefer suspension lift. Found a guy in Washington, but his 4" lift is 3" of body and 1" of suspension lift. MIght need a little custom fabrication? It is a 98 Legacy GT Wagon. Shipping it off soon to Conneticut for some swap work and want to get it lifted when it gets back.

Prolly woundnt go to him for it...

You guys wanna know something really funny though. I read this post when it got started, and Guess who emailed me today about my forester forsale. Non other than mudrat79. He wanted to trade his 96 OB for my forester. NO WAY DUDE. I'm not a moron, for all I know it's another scam and its on its last leg. He gave me his phone number too, if anyone want to harass him about getting your money or bumper back. Funny thing is he called himself mudrat79 in his email and mentioned his "bad rump roast" bumper he built... Haha.

Yeah......My lifted EA81 is actually one of his past abortions........

I purchased it from a guy who Mudrat was supposed to be lifting it for him.........I guess he forgot to finish it......left it in shambles in the guys back yard in Eugene.

I bought it for $300 with a the motor and tranny ripped out......the front suspension hacked and chopped crossmember had BullSheet engine mounts welded to it.....IDK iguess he was gonna t-case it???

Anyhow......The last piece of his old lift blocks in the rear broke recently so I finally have De-mudratted it.  It's now a Fully "HighGuys" lifted rig.

Gotta respect he loves Subarus.....but that's about all the respect he gets from me.

He does still live in Eugene and I have seen him a few times in the last year.  Randomly.

My hats off to John, 10 years ago it was because of some of his work and others that I got

into offroading and lifting Subarus, he has done some innovative things over the years,

I applaud him for being one off the pioneers in our community , that being said Im sorry to

hear he hasn't been that great of a Bussiness man , hope he settles up some day, one car

that had great inspiration for me was Turbones old Lifted T-cased Hatch camo painted, think

it went to General Disorder in OR, not sure, he was one of the first in our area to put a EJ

in a EA and make the adapter .

I remember MudRat from the early years of USMB...

He used to has his own web page, with a photo of him standing in the roof of a beige EA81 wagon, the hands wide up and the sun behind; and the legend: "If you Dream it, I Can Build it" as far as I Remember... 

~► https://myspace.com/mudrat79/

~► http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/topic/12163-mudrat79-cars/

~► http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/topic/50599-i-hold-you-to-your-word-mudrat79

Kind Regards.

Edited by Loyale 2.7 Turbo

Still can't believe I drove it from your house in Bonney Lake to Astoria that one year.... With Brian and Johnny in the backs seat the whole way...

That sucker had a ton of freeway miles on it lol.

I remember the last show I took it to - WCSS14 in Cashmere.

On the way home it blew a rear u-joint and after a quick stop in North Bend I was running it in 4WD to get home.

When GD took it home, the right front bearing went out and I brought him another hub which he changed out on the side of the road.

Fun times in that rig lol.

• Like 1

My hats off to John, 10 years ago it was because of some of his work and others that I got

into offroading and lifting Subarus, he has done some innovative things over the years,

I applaud him for being one off the pioneers in our community , that being said Im sorry to

hear he hasn't been that great of a Bussiness man , hope he settles up some day, one car

that had great inspiration for me was Turbones old Lifted T-cased Hatch camo painted, think

it went to General Disorder in OR, not sure, he was one of the first in our area to put a EJ

in a EA and make the adapter .

I'll back Scott here.  For all the flame everyone is willing to dish out, I'll step forward and support Scott in some positive dishing on John. 

I thank John for his pioneering and love of Roos and their capabilities, even stretching those capabilities.  Honestly if it weren't for John I probably wouldn't have gone as far nor been able to contribute as much through my later learning and experiences.  I've always modified things but John helped direct that pattern down the off-roading direction for this car.  I was originally just looking for a light bar and knew nothing about Subarus back in 2003, except that they're good in snow.  He talked me into a baja bumper and I really haven't looked back.  I've put 120K miles on my lifted roo, roughly 110K with the baja bumper!

subaru%2520rt%2520front.jpg?gl=USP1080984.JPG?gl=US

I may be one of the few, if not only, one of his customers who will stand up and talk positives about the guy.  I met Turbone for a second back in '04 when he had the camo hatch, and thanks for starting some support for John here Scott.  Sure John's had some ups and downs and sucks as a businessman, but I believe his heart is in the right place and he's pioneered a bunch of stuff for this off-roading Subaru community, both old gen and new.  He, like many people, can't say "no" when perhaps he should, regarding taking on too much work and too many projects, but he's always been good to me and even let me crash at his place and fed me while I was passing through getting my wife in Portland the next day.

I certainly feel for the people who were unjustly treated by John and they were burned pretty badly without recourse; it sucks to have to think one needs to resort to legal action (as some have) for essentially gentleman's agreements.  I really hope everyone gets resolution and in the end the right thing works out for each and every one wronged.  John, as I understand, has always put his family first and he's been in rough times financially and trying to provide for the fam, but I hope that he will and does make things right. 

I haven't been able to reach him lately via email, PMing where I know he's active or even texts. . . .

I think he does good work and with persistence and presence I think its worth pursuing his products, but time and distance can be great enemies when working or dealing with the business side of Mudrat fabrications.

peace and ciao

Edited by superu
  • Like 1

Yep, Sherky. Taking care of your family is one thing, but when you continuously cheat people for a few bucks to do it, thats a whole other talk show.

I think that watching all of this unfold is a travesty. He could just not cheat people and do the right thing. But I think his character is just that. Cheater. Hopefully he is a loving father and not just a scamming piece of spoob.

Cheers

• Like 1

Consensus trends that it could be said there are two populations with regard to Mudrat; those who've been hosed and those who have not (but perhaps have yet to be hosed).

Sadly one population is larger than the other.

I still wish im the best and hope clarity and resolution does come.

John, as I understand, has always put his family first and he's been in rough times financially and trying to provide for the fam, but I hope that he will and does make things right. 

Last I saw him he was in driving an 06 Siverado HD 2500 Duramax.  Pretty big jump up from sub-$1000 subarus.  He's takin care of his family just fine it seems.

I haven't been able to reach him lately via email, PMing where I know he's active or even texts. . . .

I think he does good work and with persistence and presence I think its worth pursuing his products, but time and distance can be great enemies when working or dealing with the business side of Mudrat fabrications.

He left an unfinished pile o' crap in somebodies backyard IN THE SAME TOWN HE LIVES IN!!!

Distance, time......doesn't matter........Never trust anyone who calls himself any kind of  "Rat".

• 2 years later...