Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Need a Haynes/Chilton Manual for EJ25D

Hello all,

I have a Dune Buggy (Street buggy really) with an EJ25D in it.  I"m not sure what the donor vehicle was as I bought it as a turn key package with a T3/T4 turbo from a company that specializes in this for Sand Rails (Outfront Motorsports) and they don't keep records.

Well, I recently developed what I believe  to be an external head gasket leak on the right (for a normal car) head.  Every time I drive there's oil sprayed all over that side of the engine (lower portion) and surrounding structure. 

So, I need to change the head gasket.  For me ,this should be a relatively easy operation since I have easy access to the heads.  Don't need to pull the engine or worry about tight spaces.  

So, long story short, I need a Haynes Manual, but I don't know which car or year I should get it for since I do'nt know the actual origins of my engine.    How should I proceed?

Thanks for the help,

>>I guess I left my response open too long and heartless beat me to it!

A second source of info.

For reference, the EJ25D was used in the 98 Impreza, 96-99 Legacy and the 98 Forester.

You can access a Legacy factory service manual here:

http://www.main.experiencetherave.com/subaru_manual_scans/

which is better than a Haynes/Chilton.  Use the 1996 Legacy link there.  Once you download the zip then go to

service manual>engine section>engine

For cleaning up the heads before the new gaskets, check out this write up: 

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/topic/122588-diy-head-resurfacing-or-post-apocalyptic-machine-shop-techniques/

However, I'm not sure oil spraying out there is a typical HG failure on that engine.  Typically it is exhaust gases showing up in the coolant (e.g. the coolant overflow bottle).

You should try to clean things up and see if you can pinpoint where the oil is coming from (as it can track from its original source and end up somewhere else).  These engines often have some (numerous?!) oil leaks from aged seals.

Cam/crank seals, oil pressure sensor, valve cover gaskets are all candidates for a leak.  Also there is an oil separator plate on the back of the engine (between the engine and the transmission) that often develops a decent leak, although not usually a "spraying" one, but enough to build up oil sludge all over the transmission crossmember, the steering rack, and much of the suspension down there.

Edited by upnorthguy

having experience in the troubleshooting/repair field i will say this about haynes/chilton/seloc manuals - you are better off using them for a knee pad or to start the stove with on those cold winter days out in the garage

the link that heartless posted will give you a lot of info on that engine and driveline, if you are interested in other years of the engine click the link below and peruse at your leisure:

http://jdmfsm.info/Auto/Japan/Subaru/Legacy%20Outback/

these are the factory service manuals and although a little difficult to navigate have a ton of great info in them

Edited by dubs283