Ultimate Subaru Message Board

What is up with subaru? help please?

So I just got this subaru, it is my first subaru and I love it it is a 1989 subaru xt6, and I traded my 1990 nissan 300zx na for it, it hurt to trade but me and the fiancé need something she isn't afraid to drive, but after I drove it home I took it to my friend who works on subaru and he gave it the once over and told me that he was going to run the numbers on it but that I may have something unique, he said it might have all the original gaskets and everything else, it only has 132,000 miles on it and I just want to know if it was a good trade or not, that is my only concern

well the XT6 is a rare beast, if the body and interior are in good shape the drive train isnt that important.repairs are easy and cheap. its a breeze to work on these older subarus. but for the most part these cars dont need a whole lot  they are really over built. factory parts can got 200k easy

I recommend lifting it just for the Sh!ts and giggles.

the 300zx is a good car but if it was NA then it really isnt that special.

more specs on the XT6 is it auto or manual?

Front quarter panels are not an issue as they can be replaced by bolt off-bolt on... rear panels that usually part of the uni-body and a nightmare to swap (cut and weld), not sure on the XT6 though as it has an odd body. How are the rocker panels - usually one of the first places for rust to form? If it has the rough textured tape under the paint - poke it gently to see if there is strength or not as the metal under the tape can rust from the inside and the tape hides the rust sometimes.

What's up with Subaru is that these cars LAST... fantastic durability snd reliability. Cheap and easy to work on, with decent parts availability even after 25+ years. Many models have all gauge dash, with no "idiot lights". 4WD is a nice bonus, and they're not known for dropping their transmissions. Keep the fluids checked and topped off, and these things will go forever! What's not to love?

I can't post pictures because the interwebs won't let me but why does my subaru have 6 cylinders and yet only 2 pipes or outlets into the exhaust manifold o.e

The ER27 in the XT6 is based on the 4 cyl. EA82 (basically the 4 cyl. with 2 more cylinders added) and the EA82 only has 1 exhaust port per head.

There are several things to know about XT6's... one that I am aware of is this.... it uses a special "cybrid power steering fluid"  Not just normal power steering fluid or ATF (most Subarus use ATF)

Its a fairly rare car, not many left.  Very low drag coefficient (even though its a big square wedge its somehow aerodynamic)