Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Ej swap transmissions questions?

Jabbott126

So I'm planning on swapping an ej into my loyale along with a full drive train swap. It came to mind to start thinking of how the clutch engagement will work. I have a cable clutch on the loyale so how will I go about hooking up a slave cylinder in the car? Has anyone successfully done this?

Most EJ trans also have the second location for the clutch fork ball-stud thing. Just relocate it to the other hole and run the [EDIT] EJ fork and cable setup with the EJ trans. You might have to modify the clutch cable mounting bracket on the trans. The EJ trans has a larger bump in the case where the Loyale cable bracket goes. 

You can also just use the EJ Hydro setup and mount a slave cylinder on your firewall. You might have to swap to a Hydro pedal box and drill a couple of holes in the fire wall for the clutch master cylinder. Either way it is quite do-able. It really is just a matter of personal preference.

Edited by Crazyeights

Ok awesome glad to put my worries at ease. I was just going through all the different things that will be hiccups in the process and this came to mind.

Front trans crossmember needs modified to accept middle "craddle" mount piece from a Legacy 5spd. just a few holes and a little grind.

You will need to fabricate a rear transmission crossmember piece....that will accept the other end of said craddle.  again pretty easy with 3/8th flatbar.

You will need to shorten front section of the driveline about 2~2-1/2".

Shifter also will need to be cut to fit (easy after trans is mounted.

I'm uncertain if the loyale clutch fork will work with the ej transmission, but I've been out of the ea Era for quite a while. If it doesn't end up fitting correctly I have an ej cable clutch for taking up space in a drawer in my garage.

• Like 1

You are correct ^^^, I did actually use an EJ fork and cable, flywheel and clutch too. It all came with a spare Alpine Wagon trans. I used some XT6 cross-member parts I think for the back end as I recall.

Yeah the XT6 mount pieces are the "unicorn" magic pieces to make an EJ trans bolt in......but most people don't have access to the XT6 pieces.....

So using Legacy middle piece and a simple flatbar for the rear works great........a few drilled holes and a grinder.

• Like 1

Yeh well my luck fell short. Someone snagged the motor and trans... Including the trans mount out of the car. Such a Pity the car has been in the yard for over a year and no one has touched in then the second I go to get something off it the one thing I need is gone. At least all the brakes are still on it. So I'll probly snag those off and put them up for sale.

Anyone have any pictures of homemade crossmembers?