Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

2005 Impreza OBS- noise from back when braking

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Stevo F

Stevo F

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts
  • Virginia

Posted 08 August 2014 - 08:29 AM

We recently had the rear struts changed out and prior to that I changed out the brake pads front and back. 

The past couple of weeks, I've heard a slighting creaking or popping noise coming from the back of the car when b

From the drivers seat, it sounds like it comes from the rear seat area of the car.

I plan on doing a good brake fluid flush this weekend so I'll the car up on stands with the wheels off. What should I look for as a possible culprit? I first thought it might be one of the new brake pads, but since it does it over bumps too, I'm thinking something relating to the struts (maybe a noise related to the strut top hat)?

#2 Stevo F

Stevo F

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts
  • Virginia

Posted 15 August 2014 - 12:36 AM

Nope, didn't see anything weird under the car. My son who was riding in the back seat said it sounded liek it was coming from right below them, but nothing under the car was amiss. 

I usually hear it when braking so I suspected something with the brakes at first. then I heard it when the front passengers wheel went over a 2- 3" concrete lip going into the garage, so I'm thinking suspension? 

#3 1 Lucky Texan

1 Lucky Texan

I read a lot about Subarus

• Gold Subscribers
  • 4,979 posts
  • Texas

Posted 15 August 2014 - 09:07 AM

maybe an anti-roll bar problem. Broken mount or endlink ?

#4 Stevo F

Stevo F

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts
  • Virginia

Posted 15 August 2014 - 09:58 PM

The sway bar and end links looked OK when I checked them... rusty (this is a northern car) but still in one piece.

#5 heartless

heartless

Do YOU Subaru?

• Members
  • 2,854 posts
  • North Central Wisconsin

Posted 16 August 2014 - 09:30 AM

We recently had the rear struts changed out and prior to that I changed out the brake pads front and back.

possible that the nut that holds the strut to tophat is slightly loose.

had a similar issue with a 1st gen legacy sedan some time ago - nut wasnt tight enough - allowed just enough movement to make creaking & popping noises.

tightened everything up and no more noises.

#6 Stevo F

Stevo F

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts
  • Virginia

Posted 17 August 2014 - 12:31 AM

possible that the nut that holds the strut to tophat is slightly loose.

had a similar issue with a 1st gen legacy sedan some time ago - nut wasnt tight enough - allowed just enough movement to make creaking & popping noises.

tightened everything up and no more noises.

I'll definitely need to check out that since the work was recently done. Tonight, I was outside when my wife pulled in in the garage and put on the brakes to stop- i could hear "creak, creak" from the back of the car.

#7 Stevo F

Stevo F

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts
  • Virginia

Posted 31 August 2014 - 09:33 PM

I think I nailed this down. When going over a 2" lip at the entrance to the garage, the car would make the noise, but it sounded like it was under my feet, towards the front. When I had the car up on jack stands I went under and checked the bolts holding the front subframe I recently replaced. One on the passengers side toward the back was a bit loose. Tightened it up and so far, no more noise.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users