Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2005 Impreza OBS- noise from back when braking

We recently had the rear struts changed out and prior to that I changed out the brake pads front and back. 

The past couple of weeks, I've heard a slighting creaking or popping noise coming from the back of the car when b

From the drivers seat, it sounds like it comes from the rear seat area of the car.

I plan on doing a good brake fluid flush this weekend so I'll the car up on stands with the wheels off. What should I look for as a possible culprit? I first thought it might be one of the new brake pads, but since it does it over bumps too, I'm thinking something relating to the struts (maybe a noise related to the strut top hat)?

Nope, didn't see anything weird under the car. My son who was riding in the back seat said it sounded liek it was coming from right below them, but nothing under the car was amiss. 

I usually hear it when braking so I suspected something with the brakes at first. then I heard it when the front passengers wheel went over a 2- 3" concrete lip going into the garage, so I'm thinking suspension? 

We recently had the rear struts changed out and prior to that I changed out the brake pads front and back.

possible that the nut that holds the strut to tophat is slightly loose.

had a similar issue with a 1st gen legacy sedan some time ago - nut wasnt tight enough - allowed just enough movement to make creaking & popping noises.

tightened everything up and no more noises.

• Like 1

possible that the nut that holds the strut to tophat is slightly loose.

had a similar issue with a 1st gen legacy sedan some time ago - nut wasnt tight enough - allowed just enough movement to make creaking & popping noises.

tightened everything up and no more noises.

I'll definitely need to check out that since the work was recently done. Tonight, I was outside when my wife pulled in in the garage and put on the brakes to stop- i could hear "creak, creak" from the back of the car.

• 2 weeks later...

I think I nailed this down. When going over a 2" lip at the entrance to the garage, the car would make the noise, but it sounded like it was under my feet, towards the front. When I had the car up on jack stands I went under and checked the bolts holding the front subframe I recently replaced. One on the passengers side toward the back was a bit loose. Tightened it up and so far, no more noise.