Ultimate Subaru Message Board

coolant burping question ea82

Hello,

In my quest to revive this 1991 SPFI loyale, i replaced all coolant hoses. I went to burp system last night. I have read lots here on how to do and still forgot to turn heater on full...arggg. I will try again tonght but have a quick question. I fired it up and sounded great, idled high for abit then right down nicely. Radiator cap off i watched as it would spit some out, fill it up a lite. Did that a few times while checking temp gauge and feeling upper rad hose. Then all of the sudden,10min or so later, it didnt just burp it started thowing up coolant from the filler tube(rad cap). It was late and i stopped. before this the hose felt warm and i figured the tstat was open. Maybe not though. Was my big mistake not turnig heater on high? Also should put it on a slope or ramps to promote coolant to get into heater core? I did read a post from miles that said it would geyser if a big bubble came through. It kinda freaked me out the amount it was spewing so i figured i would stop and do some research.

Thanks all in advance, learning lots here, hope to get the beast(im calling it "bean" for some reason hahaha) on the road soon.

that happens when the thermostat doesnt open, and the coolant boils over. thermostat sometimes needs pressure in the system to open it, so the force of coolant pumping around is used to open the thermostat instead of blow out of the filler neck. 

http://www.amazon.com/Lisle-24610-Spill-Free-Funnel/dp/B001A4EAV0

get one of those. you will never have a problem burping cooling systems on nearly any car, ever again.

• Like 1

New thermostat is a new thermostat.

When cold squeeze top and bottom hoses until no bubles come out.

Park it on a hill nose up with the radiator cap off and wait for the thermostat to open.  Some coolant will leave the radiator when the coolant start expanding.  I usually use turkey baster to suck it out.

Close the radiator cap and bring the expansion tank level to medium: between low and full marks.

Good luck,

Sam 

Fill the block first thru the upper hose or the t stat housing

Deosn't work on EA.....the Thermostat is on the upper hose and blocks coolant.

Best way to fill an EA is to put it on a slope with the front end upward.  Fill the radiator.  Run the engine until warmed up to half with the cap on!!!

Let cool, remove cap..........refill.

There really is nothing else to it. 

It's the EJ's with the thermostat at the bottom enigne that tend to be harder to burp.

Oh and FYI.......no need to put heater on full.......EA82 and all newer subarus are full flow to the heater core no matter what setting the blower is on.....even off.

Deosn't work on EA.....the Thermostat is on the upper hose and blocks coolant.

Best way to fill an EA is to put it on a slope with the front end upward.  Fill the radiator.  Run the engine until warmed up to half with the cap on!!!

Let cool, remove cap..........refill.

There really is nothing else to it. 

It's the EJ's with the thermostat at the bottom enigne that tend to be harder to burp.

Oh and FYI.......no need to put heater on full.......EA82 and all newer subarus are full flow to the heater core no matter what setting the blower is on.....even off.

Assuming the thermostat is out or during install; fill the block first. I have gone as far as filling thru a heater hose. A flushing tee in the heater line helps for theipurpose, either fill or burp.