Ultimate Subaru Message Board

GL, GL-10, Loyale Oil Filter Alert

Many of the auto parts supply stores no longer stock the oil filters that match the Subaru oil filter dimensions.  They will sell you a fatter and probably shorter oil filter.  The danger with these fatter oil filters is that they may rub against the back of the auxiliary fan frame, resulting in sudden explosive oil spray from the oil filter, and engine damage if this remains unnoticed.  Mine blew in only 3000 miles.

I work at O'Reilly Auto Parts, and I change my Loyale's oil every 3000 miles. I can say that I always use a Bosch 3400 filter, and it's always been the same. Fits perfectly fine, and Bosch has not changed the design on it. Doesn't even come close to rubbing anything. I've also tried a K&N filter, part # HP-2008. The filter sucked (in my opinion), but it didn't come close to the fan. I also used to run our brand of filter (Microguard), and it fit fine. I have not heard at work of us discontinuing any filters.

What brand of filter did you have? Tomorrow when I go into work, I can get part numbers off every filter available for an EA82 and see which ones are larger than the Bosch.

Edited by jj421

If it was Napa's house brand of filter, then that's probably why. Go with a "name brand" filter, and it should fit with no issue. Filters made by Fram, Bosch, WIX, Mobil-1, K&N, and some other brands.

Our house brand (Microguard) oil filters are made by WIX, but some Microguard filters are slightly different in size than the WIX counterpart.

Edited by jj421

Forget the fram regular filter. IT has been posted about for a whole decade. The napa gold or silver (21361) series filters are mfg'd by WIX (51361), at least it was back in the day when i had ea82's.

If you want a larger filter, cross reference with ford motorcraft fl1-a (5.0). Caution with turbo app on that, as a larger oil filter holds the oil near the turbo cross pipe causing the potential to heat soak the oi.

Purolator filters at Advance Auto Parts work great (the right size) and are made in the USA (at least my last one was). Wix is a decent filter, but the last fuel filter I bought for my '88 DL was made in CHINA. I know some of the Wix oil filters are made in Mexico, so YMMV. If you love your Subaru, get anything but Fram. The study mentioned above is getting a little long in the tooth, but it still has some good info. Unless FRAM has changed dramatically, I'd avoid them..

http://www.minimopar.net/oilfilters/index.html

You can put a FL1A on a Subaru?! Wow..I trust that oil filter, I'll have to look into that. It's a Purolator too, BTW.

Edited by subaru1988

It is not the quality of oil filter that was the problem.  My point is, the diameter of the oil filter is too large.  It did not even touch the auxiliary fan assembly when I installed it.  But the engine moves around a bit on bumpy roads, and that caused the strongback on the assembly to puncture the oil filter.

STP is what I always run.  2827???  don't quote me on that......I know the EJs run the 2869.

I always get the "oil change kit" for around $22 bucks from autozone.....with a 5quart jug of whatever good brand conventional 10-30 or 10-40 they have included that month.

Buy five and the 6th is free (practically) with the Autozone reward card.

ScoobieDoobie, I would inspect your motor mounts, your radiator mounts......and the condition of the lower radiator support.....you bent something or it's moving TOO much if the filter is hitting the fan.

Indeed, avoid Fram for any and all filters. Anything is better. People seem to think otherwise. I always hear at my work, "I want a good filter; give me the Fram."

I took this picture the other night of my oil filter. There's a good amount of clearance. So yeah, do the above and check the mounts for everything.

P1110917_zps0b74d79c.jpg

I always use napa gold 1361 on my old GL, and its good to go. If your filter is hitting the fan, you have other issues.

I didnt know an FL1A would work on it. That would effectively increase the total oil capacity, and mean that (for me) i could quit stocking the 1361, since i already have cars with the fl1a