Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hi all! Thanks for reading. I just bought my first Subaru. A 1999 legacy outback which I already love! However, there is some knocking / clicking noise coming from under the car. It's driving me crazy! I borrowed my buddies lift today and a stethoscope to locate the noise. It sounds like it's coming from inside my 5 speed transmission. The sound is not constant. It only happens when the car is in motion. Sometimes it doesn't make much sound at all, and then others it sounds like the things gonna break! If I'm going 60 and the sound is present and I push in the clutch, the sound stays the same. The car shifts into gears just fine. There is absolutely no slipping and the engine is strong. Now, SOMEtimes when I put the clutch in, the "card in spokes" sound completely changes to a deeper knocking.. I might just take it to a dealership and pay the 90$ for a diagnosis but was hoping some other poor soul has experienced this and could help me figure it out. Thanks guys

Pretty common on the 99s. Theres a circlip on the AWD center diff that pops loose and can get hung up in the transfer gears. Not too difficult to fix if you're mechanically inclined. Just have to pull the tail housing and the transfer gears and center diff pull out, then put new (used) ones in.

Fairfaxtome, I bet you're right! But, is it an internal clip? Or external? I was hoping to find a YouTube video or something of the process so I'm confident on where I'm goin. Thanks for all your help already!

http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/99-do-yourself-illustrated-guides/27878-4eat-tail-section-rebuild-without-removing-transmission.htm

l think this is the arena , not sure what clip is culprit , I just did this to smooth out the clutch pack and used a schematic from the dealer to make sure I got the reassembly right 

The clip is external to the center diff, but most of the time it gets flung around and hung up in the transfer gears. It lets the center diff unit basically fall apart so replacing just the clip is not a good idea.

Here's a writeup on SF.org that shows removal.

http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f89/center-diffs-how-replace-them-46979/

Edited by Fairtax4me

I thin Perrodelturbo was trying to link to this write up

http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/99-do-yourself-illustrated-guides/27878-4eat-tail-section-rebuild-without-removing-transmission.html

This shows the tail housing of the transmission being removed. (Tail housing connects to the drive shaft that goes the rear differential)

Fairtax, I took the car to a subaru shop and had them inspect it. They told me that it's not possible for the outer snapclip to come loose unless someone pulled the axle out? He said if that clip was missing then the axle would just pull out easy and that he checked (not syre I believe he checked) and that it was snug. They said they think its a pinion shaft bearing going bad. I feel like they don't know what's wrong and just want me to replace my entire tranny. I'm a bit desperate for an answer and education. Also I can't find any other person online that has had the same issue as me and what they did about it :-/

Xois- You are on a different continent when it comes to this thread...

You're talking about one of the two drive axles and it seems you have the shop look at those as well.  That is not what Fairtax pointed to.  Let's get back on the right track.

Your drivetrain is the transmission (that includes the front differential).  Of course, the front of the transmission is connected to the engine and then coming out from the front differential is a drive shaft (or axle) on each side.  Those connect to a hub and then each front wheel.

The rear end of your transmission has a drive shaft that connects to the rear differential.  The rear differential connects with two rear axles, which go to rear hubs/wheels.

Fairtax pointed to something inside the rear part of your transmission (commonly called the "tail housing").  This is the last part of the transmission before the drive shaft goes to the rear diff.

Look at the photo here:

http://www.turbomagazine.com/tech/0305_turp_2002_subaru_wrx_transmission_gears/photo_03.html

The guy in the photo is pulling off the tail housing in that photo.  Now go check out the link that Fairtax included for a description (with photos) of what was done to fix the problem.

• Like 1

If I drop the drive shaft going back to the rear diff, and pull off the tail housing to search for this clip, are gears and what not going to just spill out? Haha. I've replaced a few clutches (with a buddy), steering box, gaskets , brakes, oil changes, etc. I love working on cars but this will be my biggest job yet. I can't afford to take it anywhere so maning up and just doing the job is my option. That's why I'm getting as much info as I can before I give it a go. I'm sure it's hilarious to most mechanics but we all gotta start somewhere :) I'll keep you guys posted lol

So if I'm understanding all of this correctly , I could just replace the entire transfer case and that should fit the problem? The center diff and circlip fair mentioned is inside the case?

Thanks again

Edited by Xois