Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Right rear rumbling, shocks?

I still get some rumbling from the right rear tire when I go over bumps. Sometimes at highways speeds if the road is rough the rumbling seems to go for quite a bit. Checked the wheel for play, there was none. Took it off anyway and repacked the bearings. Verified again, no play in the wheel. Bearings seemed fine.

Anyone ever have this symptom before?

What one of these two vehicles are we talking about? 93 Loyale Sedan 2WD, 92 Loyale Sedan 4WD?

• You could be having "clicking" in the axle. The noise would only really present itself when torque is fed to the rear or when you hit a bump.
  • Your struts mounts could be bad.
  • Your struts could be bad.
  • Your springs could be bad, resulting in the struts bumping.

Just read online that you are supposed to change your shocks every 50K miles. Mine are the original ones at over 160K. :o

Update: Got shocks replaced, rumble is gone. I'd say I got my money's worth out of hose shocks. They were the originals installed in 1992!

Edited by MR_Loyale
  • Like 1

Just read online that you are supposed to change your shocks every 50K miles. Mine are the original ones at over 160K. :o

Update: Got shocks replaced, rumble is gone. I'd say I got my money's worth out of hose shocks. They were the originals installed in 1992!

What kind of upper mounts do those have? the normal ea81/82 "bowtie" like thing?

I have the same problem I think. I live in a trailer park and there's speed bumps so when I'm driving slow around here it sounds like rattling in the rear of my car. Mines an 88 GL wagon by the way. Anyone know what it is ?

Got junk in the trunk? Try cleaning it out and see if it makes noise still. Rattling is different than the buh buh buh buh buh buh sound of bad shocks.