Ultimate Subaru Message Board

WRX brakes on a 95 L?

wakingtowinter

I've searched and can't find a clear answer on this. I want to do a rear disc conversion on my 95 L wagon and one guide I read says that anything up to 2001 will work, whereas I've seen other people using WRX brakes in the back. There's a guy selling everything I need off a 2002 WRX, including the parking brake cables, which is one of my questions. First, will these knuckles bolt up on my car? Second, will the parking brake cables be of appropriate length?

you need larger wheels to clear the larger front calipers.

you should be able to just bolt the brackets, rotor, caliper onto your 1995 knuckle and be done.

if you swap hubs you may have differing ABS set ups.  1995 ABS tone ring is on the knuckle/housing.  2000+ legacy/outback...i'm unsure when impreza switches - but those tone rings are on the axle.  that doesn't rule out swapping as you can install "tone ring" axles in "non-tone ring" older subarus, i used to do it all the time, by knocking the outer tone ring off...but gotta know what you're working with.

the 1995 abs sensor may not bolt into the 2002 knuckle/hub.

if you don't have ABS - then it doesn't matter.  should be an easy swap - swap it all.

i'm unsure about parking  brake cables.  i would  think you simple use your existing parking brake cables and attach them to the rear WRX stuff if they didn't change the suspension by then (again legacy/outack is changed by 2000, but i don't think rear impreza does by that time?)

You'll need at least 16" wheels to clear the calipers, or some strategic work with a grinder on the calipers to clear 15s.

You'll want to grab the park brake cables from him, they will swap out fine with your existing cables. Just be sure to route then correctly.

Edited by 86BRATMAN